littlewing6283

Help, Tension Issues Consew Sewing Machine

Hello,

I wanted to post this question to the brain trust as there are many knowledgeable people on this forum. The machine in question is a Consew p1206rb. It has been a great machine but I want to change feet on it. Ive tried the edging foot and this foot I will show in the picture. For some reason when I change feet I loose tension. My stitches will not pull through. Sometimes ive had to max it out just to sew through 2-3 oz of leather. When I put the feet it came with back on it goes back to normal.

Is there any correlation with feet and tension ? 

Photos.

AM Feet

DLBdphcl.jpg

OEM Feet

gBYyebtl.jpg

Stitching on Right side is with the AM Feet Lt side is OEM Feet

ozskDDrl.jpg

Stitching on Right side is AM Feet Lt side is OEM feet. Notice how I have a lot more tension on the left stitch. Settings were not changed. 

7LOZEM0l.jpg

I would appreciate any insight anyone could provide. 

It looks to me like on your after market outer foot,it's too short. It needs to have at least one of the sides at least even with the needle. If not, your material will move up with the needle rise and not set your stitch properly. 

Regards, Eric 

20 minutes ago, gottaknow said:

It looks to me like on your after market outer foot,it's too short. It needs to have at least one of the sides at least even with the needle. If not, your material will move up with the needle rise and not set your stitch properly. 

Regards, Eric 

Thanks for the feedback Eric. Ill post some more photos so maybe it will give a better view. I have the same issues with other feet that are the same size as the OEM feet. 

I would really like to use these feet because of visibility. any tips would be appreciated

Wk8CDNNl.jpg

PTxhLVkl.jpg

YapkKDQl.jpg

Looks to me like your front foot length is shorter on the AM than the OEM. When you have the front foot up a max lift, does it sit lower than it does when you have the OEM feet on? Idea, get out the angle grinder with a thin blade and cut out a slot in the OEM. Many will scoff but I do that sort of thing often.If you really want I will send some pics of feet I have made from scratch and other I have highly modified to get them to have more room at the back for buckles and D's and so on. Brian

I bought a set of presser feet like the ones the OP has. I cannot use the short left toe foot at all, unless I am starting to sew completely on the material and the material is not soft and floppy. The foot is too far back to hold down the leather and causes skipped stitches. If I try to start sewing at the leading end of a belt or strap, the outer foot doesn't even make contact with the leather and there is no feed! It is a design flaw.

You can either buy a left toe foot that is long enough to reach the front of the inner foot, or buy a second double toe foot and grind off the right toe.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If the outer toe is the actual issue I wonder if I can use the OEM double foot and use the AM center foot which is really what Im after anyways. Would this cause any issues ?Just spitballing since I cant text it out right now as im in the office.

Yep, the outer foot of the AM set is shorter, and the base of it is not perfectly parallel ( sloppy tolerances in manufacture ) with the feed dogs /table, the underside of the "toe" part ( end nearest to you when you are sewing ) is higher than the underside of the "heel" part ( end that is at the base on the presser foot bar ), so the only contact point of the foot when it operates will be it's "heel" ( the part directly below the bar ) resulting in pressure on only a small part of the leather compared with the OEM foot..
You could try grinding it to be parallel* ( use grinding paste on a piece of heavy glass ), but you'd have to hold the "stem" perfectly at 90° to the glass, or you could declare that "life is too short to be fixing manufacturers errors", send it back, ask for a refund, and do as Rocky Aussie and Wiz have said, grind a spare OEM foot to make what you need.

* You'd then ( if you got it parallel ) have to lower the presser foot bar a smidgin to compensate, and do you really want to get into that, you'd have to raise it by the same amount every time you put the OEM foot back on, and you'd maybe have to grind of a little of the inner foot too, and maybe futz with the timing and ...

Edited by mikesc

1 hour ago, littlewing6283 said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If the outer toe is the actual issue I wonder if I can use the OEM double foot and use the AM center foot which is really what Im after anyways. Would this cause any issues ?Just spitballing since I cant text it out right now as im in the office.

Possibly. It depends on if the inside foot fits between the toes of you OEM outer foot. This would have to be at all heights, in action. It it fits without binding, but the alternating lift is wrong, adjust the lift via the bolt on the back of the head that feeds the crank that screws into the curved slot. The inside foot is usually timed to meet the top of the feed dog hole either at the same time as the point of the descending needle, or very slightly after.