Colt W Knight

What is this leather edge binding techniqhue called?

I remember seeing a really nice tutotial on this site for this leather binding technique,  but I forgot what it was called, so I cant look it up. Ive started experimenting with it, and want to look up more examples for comparrison. 

20160615_092523_zpspgn5n4tt.jpg

20160615_092256_zpsxvqfrkjw.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

If you mean the round black edge 'thingy', see 'welt'.  Some may also call it 'piping' but I think that's essentially the same thing but between sheets not on an edge.  'Welting' in the search brings up considerable material--good luck!

Thanks for the reply, but the picture isnt piping. I added a picture of the backside. 

I thought it had a specific name, not just a welt. 

Edited by Colt W Knight

See Kevin King's tutorial making a wallet. 

Comments call it a rolled edge, french roll, bound edge.  I think that french roll is the correct name.

Here is another rolled edge.  Single layer, not bound.

Tom

Thanks, I thought it was called French something. 

Best tutorial I had found of it is here in this forum...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/9940-kk-tutorial/

Gorgeous wallet, he uses the same technique, but I did not see if the named it in the post.

Nigel recently posted a video on this very topic.

The picture you have shown is what I call a french edge and some would call a french rolled edge. It is easier if you don't make your corners too sharp and don't pull the corners to tight as you pull the strip around them. I usually work out my width of strip needed, skive 1/2" back about and start face to face and free hand stitch it around on the sewing machine with the 2 edges level. Finish stitching an inch or 2 short, cut off to match the skive and skive the top piece.Glue together and finish the stitch. Then just put a line of glue along the stitch all the way around and pull the strip over and flog it down until it takes up the shape. I normally stitch then up against the roll but pick where you like the picture you supplied shows it some distance away from the roll. I normally do a bit of glue after hammering down to hold everything in place. Sometimes you may want to trim up close to where you have stitched and that can be a bit of an art in itself. Hope that helps

The video from Nigel is not the same as what's shown in the first pic in the thread.  The KK tutorial shows the method (or at least one way) to do it.

32 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

The picture you have shown is what I call a french edge and some would call a french rolled edge. It is easier if you don't make your corners too sharp and don't pull the corners to tight as you pull the strip around them. I usually work out my width of strip needed, skive 1/2" back about and start face to face and free hand stitch it around on the sewing machine with the 2 edges level. Finish stitching an inch or 2 short, cut off to match the skive and skive the top piece.Glue together and finish the stitch. Then just put a line of glue along the stitch all the way around and pull the strip over and flog it down until it takes up the shape. I normally stitch then up against the roll but pick where you like the picture you supplied shows it some distance away from the roll. I normally do a bit of glue after hammering down to hold everything in place. Sometimes you may want to trim up close to where you have stitched and that can be a bit of an art in itself. Hope that helps

That is as close as my sewing machine presser foot would let me sew to the edge of the roll. When I rolled it over, i glued it doen with contact cement up to about where the 2nd stitch line set. By the time I figured out a good way to trim the extra binding, I was about done. Hope the next one is better. Actually stitching on the binding was a lot easier than I expected. Especially since it was my first time. 

I ground down a spare foot to enable it to get closer to the roll but if you grind back to far it will have a tendency for you to put the needle into the roll. So grind and try,grind and try. I've seen your work and know it will be no problem.

Also try a plastic tapered ruler under the line when your trimming it will help.