sparky20006

Any idea which Seiko this machine is?

What ever it is , it looks a lot like a clone of a Juki lu 563..
found it ..Seiko STW 8B..
https://www.google.com/search?q=seiko+clone+of+juki+lu+563&biw=1432&bih=665&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlnpfe1rLNAhUIfiwKHX8rBNcQ_AUICCgD#tbm=isch&q=seiko+stw+8b+walking+foot+

Single needle walking foot machine.. Seiko are solid machines..could be a good find depending on condition and price..

Edited by mikesc

If you need a machine I would get that one, and up the street that's cool.

Looks like it has had some touch up painting, so take it for a Run!

Seems to have a Singer look also so one of the 111-157 experts can explain

Good day

Floyd

Seiko STW-8 or STW-8B, much the same machine as the Consew 226 judging by the casting.

-DC

@SARK9 do you know what size bobbin the 8B comes with?..Is it large or small ?

Belay that question ;) or perhaps not ..

Just found a thread in which Greg from Keystone posted a link to the original manual ..

But it doesn't say what size bobbin is in there..as a manual goes it is pretty Spartan ..

http://keysew.com/Webpages/DemoImages/Seiko_STW-8B_226R_Owners.pdf

Edited by mikesc

Small bobbin, "G" style.

Cheers fellas. It's got a servo motor on it as well. It's at £200 but nobody bidding on it and it's only 30 minutes away from me.

Bit of a no brainer I thought if I could get it for around the 300 quid mark.

What do you reckon?

Paul.

Yes..especially with a servo motor already on it..worth well more than £300.00 if it isn't worn, and even if some minor parts are, they are plentiful and cheap  ..

ps Thanks @Bob for the info on the bobbin size:)

It would require a different Hook assembly and is what carries the bobbin case and then this carries the bobbin.

So not with out $$ and some extensive tech work if the L size bobbin Hook setup "could?" be used as other clearance is needed.

A good decision can be answered and maybe ask with what you are making and is the stitch seam a certain length with such n such thread size worth it or more importantly needed.  Going on just the machine that has this G bobbin setup a 138 thread size is normally max in that bobbin and probably better with a smaller actually like 92 and below. I will say some techs on here can build it to do some amazing things but is this job in need of that mod.

Ninety two thread can go a pretty good distance, I would really like to see a laymen chart of distance and know many have made a few, if nothing else than penciled on a wall.

Good day there

Floyd

Not really worth increasing the bobbin size if it is the "G", doing so involves changing hook, basket, but most importantly the machine bed would probably need milling on a lathe to allow the larger hook and bobbin assembly to pass ( that milling removes enough metal to allow the hook to sit further away from the needle ) but..it really is a lot of work unless you have a lathe ( a real machine shop one, not a hobby one ) and are experienced at using it..

I only asked for curiosity value as some machines came with a larger hook and bobbin, ( my 211 has a "G", but they also made some with an "M" which is the bigger size ) great if you have them, but seriously you'd only really worry about running out in the middle of something if you were running a lot of long seams like in upholstery..one way to not have to worry about that is not to sew  loads of long seams without checking your bobbin to ensure there is enough thread in it..as Floyd says, thicker thread takes up more space on the bobbin so you get less on the bobbin..but you'll probably be sewing mostly with 92 or 138 ( running heavier than 138 often isn't a good idea in all these similar machines anyway , for heavier threads you really need to be running a heavier machine if you are going to do a lot of them )..How much thread will you use ? ..a rough guide is that a lockstitch machine ( what this is ) will use 7 times more thread than the length of the seam you want to stitch..so if you measure your seam at say 20 cms..you'll use 140cm of thread..the thicker the material the more thread you'll use to go the same distance of seam, and the thicker the thread the more thread you'll use to go the same distance on a , it might be that you'd multiply by a factor of say 9 or 11 ..

You can always make a plexiglass substitute plate to replace the sliding steel plate that covers the bobbin and hook, that will let you see how much thread is left on the bobbin while you are sewing, or wind a full bobbin, then unwind it all and measure how long the thread was in total..then apply the factor(s)  above depending on the seam length and the material thickness, an you'll know how many centimetres of seam you can sew per full bobbin of thread..eventually you get a feel for it and can calculate without thinking too hard..

Edited by mikesc

Bloody hell I'll take that as a 'no' then :o

I was just wanting a machine to sew wallets, bags and maybe 2.5 mm veg tan leather belts...that sort of stuff

Would it be ok as it is for that ? I really can't be arsed hand saddle stitching literally every thing I plan on making.

Cheers for taking the time to help guys. I do appreciate it

Paul

Edited by sparky20006

Just as it is..It will be absolutely fine for what you want..and for a lot of other stuff that you might want to do later too, and if you decide that you want later to do lots of bags and cylindrical things with small openings, then you'll have made enough money with your Seiko, to by a cylinder arm machine too..welcome to the world of sewing machine addiction :)

Edited by mikesc

How did you go Sparky? Are you a proud new owner?

I managed to pick up Consew 226R (same machine) for just $250. In good condition. 

I transferred the Efka servo from a Juki DL555 to the Consew and I now have a great machine.

Sews beautifully with 138 thread and a 22 needle.