FYI   FYI     FYI    FYI

Just off the phone with HO.

Hermann Oak "A" grade SIDES currently running $7.66 per foot, making whole sides about $190 U.S.

Hermann Oak "A" grade BACKS (no belly leather) currently running $9.11 per foot, or about $175 U.S.

I say "about" prices because depends on actual footage of the piece... sides about 25 ft and backs about 19 ft.

Not sure why this posted twice. I only called them once :whistle:

What is the minimum to order at that price?  Gotta have a katch ta git it at that price range?

Minumum 10 sides of all one weight, or 20 sides you can mix and match weights.

I got more than one letter about price hikes, so I called to verify current pricing.  Course, if you'll use the leather, it's a no-brainer.

10 backs is $1730 plus UPS charges ($150-ish) for "about" 190 sqft ($9.11 x 19ft x 10).

Now, some can tout "free shipping", but it's easy to say 'free shipping' when they're charging you $500 MORE for the same amount of leather and sending something worse than "B".  So, I think the "catch" is what you get by NOT ordering at the tannery ;)

Same thing with WC, either way if you can swing it order from the tannery. Every place I have scene with the exception of getting rid of old stock  (probably low grade hides or returns) your going to pay 30-60 dollars more per hide no matter who it is.

Yep.  I mention it here, in an attempt to help a guy out.  Lots and lots of "suppliers" running around who have no qualms at all about climbing up your back, while whispering in your  ear what a favor they're doing you. :)

On 6/27/2016 at 7:06 PM, JLSleather said:

FYI   FYI     FYI    FYI

Just off the phone with HO.

Hermann Oak "A" grade SIDES currently running $7.66 per foot, making whole sides about $190 U.S.

Hermann Oak "A" grade BACKS (no belly leather) currently running $9.11 per foot, or about $175 U.S.

I say "about" prices because depends on actual footage of the piece... sides about 25 ft and backs about 19 ft.

JLSleather

but that looks pretty much as the prices they had before u'r message, no?

Edited by nrk

13 minutes ago, nrk said:

JLSleather

but that looks pretty much as the prices they had before u'r message, no?

YES - that's my point.  I got emails about prices going up, but emails were not FROM H.O.

A number of suppliers "around here" raising prices (again!).  Sometimes they bump up the price.  Sometimes they downgrade the quality or the grade of the leather, but charge the same, so they get a "price increase" without looking like it to the untrained customer.

SO to be clear .... Hermann Oak has NOT had a price increase. 

The reason I add "For Your Information" is because it is just that - information.  I'm just letting people know where and how to get the best leather you can get - delivered to your door - for about $185 each (no belly leather).

H.O. "B" grade backs (no belly) running $9 / foot. Add the shipping, and it's at $10/foot (19 feet for $185).  And it really IS "B" grade.

So, WHY would anyone want to pay $12/ft, when you can get BETTER leather for $10/foot?#@#@!! This is a 25% MARKUP on the LITTLE GUY price (and don't kid yourself, they're brokering a MUCH better deal). Even with the "free shipping" some yelp about, you're still paying $2 per foot MORE for leather that isn't as good. I have certainly received sides from "suppliers" which were NOT "B" hides, though that's what they were calling it.

Sometimes, I find a good deal, or a good idea, and pass it on to other folks around here. But it's just information.  If for ANY reason people prefer to pay more money to buy lower quality, not up to me :dunno:  

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

YES - that's my point.  I got emails about prices going up, but emails were not FROM H.O.

A number of suppliers "around here" raising prices (again!).  Sometimes they bump up the price.  Sometimes they downgrade the quality or the grade of the leather, but charge the same, so they get a "price increase" without looking like it to the untrained customer.

SO to be clear .... Hermann Oak has NOT had a price increase. 

The reason I add "For Your Information" is because it is just that - information.  I'm just letting people know where and how to get the best leather you can get - delivered to your door - for about $185 each (no belly leather).

H.O. "B" grade backs (no belly) running $9 / foot. Add the shipping, and it's at $10/foot (19 feet for $185).  And it really IS "B" grade.

So, WHY would anyone want to pay $12/ft, when you can get BETTER leather for $10/foot?#@#@!! This is a 25% MARKUP on the LITTLE GUY price (and don't kid yourself, they're brokering a MUCH better deal). Even with the "free shipping" some yelp about, you're still paying $2 per foot MORE for leather that isn't as good. I have certainly received sides from "suppliers" which were NOT "B" hides, though that's what they were calling it.

Sometimes, I find a good deal, or a good idea, and pass it on to other folks around here. But it's just information.  If for ANY reason people prefer to pay more money to buy lower quality, not up to me :dunno:  

copied.
it's always better to order directly from source(tannery)- if the budget is on hands ))

Thanks Jeff. I can totally see buying in bulk from the tannery over paying retail for lesser grades. But as a hobbyist my wife would shoot me if I spent 2 grand on dead cows. So I'll be paying that retail price one hide at a time.:(

If she does the grocery, she'll understand. Tell her you aren't going to drink a gallon of milk today, so you've decided to just buy one or two of those little cartons from teh school lunch menu, which cost as much for 4 as that whole gallon she's "wasting' money on :rofl:

Oh, boy.. this does bring back a point I've tried to make more than once.  

Finished goods are often priced by some "formula" involving cost of materials.  So, if someone buys "B" or "C" leather at $12/foot, is there finished item then worth 20% MORE than the person who bought GOOD leather at $10/foot? :dunno:

OR, (and this gets MY vote) should leather goods (and about anything else) be 'judged' based on the quality of what it actually is made of, and the quality of the work in it?

Compare, compare, compare ...

I think she would be proud for me to buy milk in 1/2 pints over 10 hides. Also, remember I'm just a lowly hobbyist having fun. :yeah:

On 7/10/2016 at 6:51 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Thanks Jeff. I can totally see buying in bulk from the tannery over paying retail for lesser grades. But as a hobbyist my wife would shoot me if I spent 2 grand on dead cows. So I'll be paying that retail price one hide at a time.:(

You can buy single hides from WC, 

Yep, and W/C got good stuff, too... not just marking up somebody else's low end stuff.

6 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

You can buy single hides from WC, 

Cool. Thanks guys.

On 7/12/2016 at 7:51 AM, JLSleather said:

Yep, and W/C got good stuff, too... not just marking up somebody else's low end stuff.

that's true.

seems that i will go for WC leather directly, rather than 'not mentioned ' supplier 
lol