JLSleather

Edge Guides Cowboy / Cobra

2 tapped holes on the back of the cobra... do these fit the drop-down edge guide available with Cowboy machines?  Looks like they might, but guessing from pictures, and I admit I don't care for $100+ guesses. ;)

Yes, but ask the dealer for the correct guide that fits the hole spacing. Also get the proper screws with the guide, for that brand of machine.

Can you post a close-up picture of the machine's back side showing the hole locations? You may need an adapter bracket (hopefully it would be included). Either way, the manual foot lift lever tends to get in the way of the swing-down guide on the 441 class machines. If you do what Al Bane did in his video (remove the ball on the lever), you're losing the gravity-operated foot lift release because the weight of manual lever no longer pulls down enough. Swing-down edge guides on a 441 class machine are a  compromise, not an elegant solution.  

I'll have to get out a measurin' stick or somthin' to check the holes.  Without giong to the machine, I'm gonna guess they's 6mm holes, one vertically above the other, right in the area that lever will swing (IF I was to ever use it).

Too bad I don't have a mill or a lathe any more.... as a former tool 'n' die guy, I know 27¢ worth of steel when I see it ;)

But this little slidin' thing that came with the machine, pain in my back.  I checked... they're like $85!  Somebody can have this one (I did try to use it a dozen times or so) for HALF that price.

Shoulda bought the cb4500, I guess (again)... which would have come with that.

I cant find any pics of the mounting side of the swing down guide. Looked at the one on the techsew site and it says it will fit theres but possible drill and tap may be required. The only pics are of the arm side not of it mounted to the machine. I have an older neel's version (cowboy) and it has those two tiny tapped holes on the side you sit at and it has a bigger single tapped hole on the other side where I think it would mount.  

Same thing here.. two holes in teh front, two holes in the back.  "Manual" is basically useless, and I'm not seeing anybody posting any of it. :dunno:

Looks pretty much as the guide I´m using on my 111G156. Where is the development in this guide? Maybe I´m missing something but this is the same as the Kwokhing with just another mounting bracket. Could not be too difficult to make a proper mounting bracket for the "standard" Kwokhing guide.

Edited by Constabulary

Yikes.  Another video.  Well, at least this one had SOME value... saved me spending $100+ on a cheap litle bracket.  The roller guide would be the only thing on that costing more than $2.  .. roller bushing maybe $10?

The KB205 adapter bracket for Kwok Hing guides may actually work on a Cobra, or at least be a good starting point for a custom bracket. While the Adler 205 is a totally different design, the general dimensions are not that far off from a 441. I had contemplated drilling holes and installing a swing down edge guide on my 441, but never got around to it. If the vertically aligned holes are already there, it may be worth a shot.

_MG_4345.jpg

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

I think that's the same company I tried to contact today.  Figured I'd check on what they got (looked like the 767 and the 867 would probably work?).  Long as there isn't a minimum order of like 1000 units, I might just pick up a few so they're around when other folks take the notion. :dunno:

But now that I'm done for the day, I think I'll go measure them there holes.  Drilling a hole is fine.  Long as we don't have to drill in one side of an existing hole ...

OKAY< then.. the official version... two holes (up and down like in the pic Al put up there).  Likely 6mm (hole measures about 4.4 mm) and spaced pretty close to 20 mm centers.

The KB205 bracket might work then. It comes with standard M6 screws. PM me if you want try one out, I have a few KB205 brackets on hand and can send you a sample for testing.

The Cowboy brand 441 machines (CB4500) don't have a flat surface where the mounting holes need to be (it's a curved recess instead), complicating things a bit. 

Kwok Hing also makes a long version of the swing down guide called KG967. It has a 20mm longer arm than the KG867.

That looks like it'd prolly work.  Thing is, though, WHICH of the guides better suited?  That site doesn't list ANY sizes / measurements.  Ideally it would be large enough to reach without adding a lot of 'stuff' right in the work area.

I should have measured from the holes down to the cylinder, but not much good to know what that is if that still doesn't tell you which guide to use !

The best way to find out for sure is to just try it out. 

I do have the KG-867 guides and KB-205 brackets on hand, in case you want to try that one first. I can mail you a set for testing today, just PM me your mailing address (I'm leaving for a road trip at noon).

If you can wait a few weeks, I can add a KG-967 guide to my next Kwok Hing order and let you borrow it for testing. You'll probably have a hard time finding the KG-967 guide at retailers in the wild, and establishing a direct order line with KH is not always simple.

Sue weeeeeet ;)

I did email that web site.. see what happens there.

But I WOULD be willing to test this out -- so I certainly appreciate your offer.  We all know how that "sucks" ordering multiple 'versions' to get the one that fits what we're doing!

So, the one that comes with the Cowboy machines is a curved mounting plate?

Here's the back of the cobra (4).  Not a metric scale, but the caliper says 20mm center distance, so .. .800-ish on this scale.

Sharpen.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

On 7/7/2016 at 2:13 AM, treyman said:

Cobra may be coming out with its own. 

Maybe they get their "own" sewing machine first!  That one is from one or more factories in Asia. :rofl: 

But now that i've seen the mark-up on these little edge guides, maybe I'll "come out with my own" too!

I am not sure if the mounting holes on the Cobra head are done in China or the USA but they are not standard on the 441.

Both types of guides have their pluses and minuses but I prefer the bed mounted one as it has a thicker roller.

Oh, gotcha.  Either is tall enough for most of what I sew, so that's not an issue for me.  Can see your point, tho.

Edited by JLSleather

Now, here's a bit of the issue I have with these things.  I know it's not a precision instrument, but it could have been done better than this ...

This is interesting. Lets see. I took the hand lift lever and ball off when I got the Cobra 4. What gravity thing? Works great.

OK. Trying to "step out of the box". That new fangled Rube Goldberg edge guide seems to be an answer to what question. Betcha I can buy a whole side from Zack White with the price.

I use the old roller guide all the time especially with the end of a belt. Its a killer for doing round things=equally spaced stitches. And it hasn't moved yet. Getting miserly in my old age.

When I make a ranger belt I sew one piece of leather around the main belt. When I sew this on, there is a little mark for me to place a 5-6 ounce strip of leather under the front of the guide that raises it to the perfect height.  

I guess I don't do the stuff that would require the new thingy.

Why doesn't Al take a hack saw and cut the side off the plate. Then he could get his ball back.

Yeah, I'm not sure what was life-altering about that ball myself ;)

Still, I can tell you can get one of these drop-down thingies for CONSIDERABLY less than a side o' cow.  Uwe (above) has them in his ebay store for about 1/3 of a side (ish).

The 867 guide and 205 bracket work as is.... no modification necessary.  Screw in 4 bolts and off ya go...

kg867.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

Ridiculous, isn't it? :)

But then, I had a specific purpose, aimed at showing people here that you CAN get these to fit that machine. And there's no modification needed -- just get two parts.  And show where to get those parts.  

Hey, I'm the LAST guy to tell people watch a video.  Usually.  I pacify myself with knowing that it's not 'fluff' and noise -- actually DOES something FOR leather workers.  No hour long, 2 or 3 part "series".  No loud, fast "hype" to pump anybody up.  No sales pitch.  No offer to show how to do something, then not actually show it. ;)  Answers a question I had, and shares that answer with others.  No need to sign in.  No subscription necessary.  Don't 'like' tweet, twit, or twizzle.

But I agree.  Ridiculous.

Edited by JLSleather