Chief31794

Guitar Straps

Getting ready for a Bluegrass festival next month, put these out over the last 4 days, I still have to do some banjo and mandolin straps, had some dobro straps left over from Resogat last month.  Made from Hermann Oak 7/8 oz.

Chief

Aweb_0689.jpg

Aweb_0691.jpg

Aweb_0684.jpg

Aweb_0686.jpg

Aweb_0685.jpg

Aweb_0687.jpg

Aweb_0688.jpg

Those straps are a bunch of beauties.  You do fine work Chief!

1 hour ago, Rohn said:

Those straps are a bunch of beauties.  You do fine work Chief!

Thanks Rohn,

Chief

Nice straps. I know a lot of bluegrass cats, and I always enjoyed going to festivals.

8 hours ago, Colt W Knight said:

Nice straps. I know a lot of bluegrass cats, and I always enjoyed going to festivals.

Thanks, yeah I know a lot of them too. I get a double benefit from selling at Bluegrass Festivals, I get to sell some straps and I get to pick some too.

Chief

Chief,

Looks like you've been busy. Looking good, as usual!

Chris

14 minutes ago, ChriJ said:

Chief,

Looks like you've been busy. Looking good, as usual!

Chris

Thanks Chris, yep, I had a big show in North Carolina for dobro pickers last month and a couple of Bluegrass Festivals coming up, so I'm running pretty hard, and about next month will kick off Rifle Sling Season (beginning of hunting season through Christmas).

Chief

9 hours ago, Beret said:

Really lovely work!

Thank you,

Chief

great job

lovely straps

Great job.

3 hours ago, rhoneranger said:

great job

lovely straps

Thanks,

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Great job.

Thanks,

Chief

Awesome as always Mr. Chief !! I'm working on my first Guitar Strap. I've subscribed to your Youtube Channel,

and love your tutorials  !!

4 hours ago, cjartist said:

Beautiful work Chief. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Eddie Q said:

Awesome as always Mr. Chief !! I'm working on my first Guitar Strap. I've subscribed to your Youtube Channel,

and love your tutorials  !!

Thanks for the nice comments about my tutorials.

Good luck on your first guitar strap.

Chief

Beautiful straps Chief!!!!  I'm going to try my hand at straps by building one for my brother. Do you come to any of the Bluegrass Festivals here in Kentucky? I live in eastern Kentucky and we have a couple here close ........Poppy Mountain near Morehead and Rudy Fest at Grayson. Once again.......Great Work!!!!

7 hours ago, KY PI said:

Beautiful straps Chief!!!!  I'm going to try my hand at straps by building one for my brother. Do you come to any of the Bluegrass Festivals here in Kentucky? I live in eastern Kentucky and we have a couple here close ........Poppy Mountain near Morehead and Rudy Fest at Grayson. Once again.......Great Work!!!!

Thanks, I don't get up to Kentucky, I do the ones in Georgia, and a few in Florida and Alabama.  I make Resogat every year in Wilkesboro, NC.  Wish I could get up to KY, I used to live in Clarksville just south of Hopkinsville back in the 70's and played around there some then.

Awesome work.  I've just finished my 1st 3 guitar straps for the guys in my band (I'll post some pictures in another thread) and looking at your decorative work is making me want to up my game.

Quick question, do you treat the back of the strap with anything?  I've been putting tan kote on mine just to try and seal the back but wasn't sure if there was a need, or if there is something better to be using?

In a word, Wowza!

Chief, you would be doing all (well most all) of us a big favor if you'd make a detailed video of your different basketweave stamping methods. Your work is textbook perfect. In fact, better yet, you should write a book!

Michelle

Those look fantastic.  How wide do you typically make them? I'm wanting to get started but there's so many different widths that people use and I'm not really certain where to start.

On 8/16/2016 at 9:57 AM, Sven WillIBeFamous said:

Awesome work.  I've just finished my 1st 3 guitar straps for the guys in my band (I'll post some pictures in another thread) and looking at your decorative work is making me want to up my game.

Quick question, do you treat the back of the strap with anything?  I've been putting tan kote on mine just to try and seal the back but wasn't sure if there was a need, or if there is something better to be using?

I use Fiebing's Aussie, I coat both the front and back then heat with a heat gun until it liquifies, then wipe off the excess. This provides shielding against perspiration and also conditions the leather.  Then I put 1 or 2 coats of Resolene on the front side.  The Aussie is like "Sno Seal" it acts as a moisture prevention.  Instrument straps that are used a lot get subjected to sweat.  Hope that helps.

6 hours ago, silverwingit said:

In a word, Wowza!

Chief, you would be doing all (well most all) of us a big favor if you'd make a detailed video of your different basketweave stamping methods. Your work is textbook perfect. In fact, better yet, you should write a book!

Michelle

What a nice compliment.  I have a video out on you tube concerning the arrowhead basket weaving technique, hadn't thought about the others since they are pretty standard and there's lots of folks out here that do basket weave better than I.  I will try to get in the shop and do some techniques on video and get it posted.

Chief

29 minutes ago, venator said:

Those look fantastic.  How wide do you typically make them? I'm wanting to get started but there's so many different widths that people use and I'm not really certain where to start.

Standard width for guitar straps is 2-1/2 inches but I've made them from 1-1/2 to 3-1/2" wide for different folks. Thanks,

Chief

24 minutes ago, venator said:

Is there a reason you don't dye and finish the back?

I don't like taking the chance of dye bleed on shirts, and I've never liked the look of dyed flesh side of leather, I like it better when it looks like leather. If I double layer the strap then both sides are dyed, but then the backsides are glued together and don't show.  Just me, but there is an option to have the back dyed when they order and I've not had very many take that option.  I'll dye it and seal it if they want but most don't want it.

Chief