A lifelong friend is getting married, and another friend bought him a kit muzzleloader pistol as a wedding gift and asked me to put it together. I decided to make him a possibles pouch to go along with the pistol. Is is made from cognac colored heavy garment leather, lined with canvas, and trimmed in deer skin. The Strap is 5/6 ounce vegtan with a wool felt liner. I put two rows of stitching on it "just because".

20160811_203813_zpssfsnqtiw.jpg

20160811_203818_zpsdcu4r4ke.jpg

20160811_203830_zps9ekipvwi.jpg

20160811_203845_zpsmee0nlci.jpg

20160811_203931_zpsrt0jsot9.jpg

My friend is into bushcraft and stuff, and likes to make his own waxes. I figured I would let him duck the canvas.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Looks great Colt and I'm sure he will be very happy with it

Thanks

That's an awesome possibles bag.  I'd love to get his wax recipe and how you waxed the canvas!

Wish I had two friends like that.....

Hi Colt, I like the deer skin lining on the strap it gives a very nice contrast. I found when using this colour in deer skin suede that it looks good with just about any other colour. I used it as a lining in some briefcases I made a while back. Unfortunately the supply here got too difficult. Here's a couple of crappy pics I took.The closure fitting is a Franzen fitting I imported from Germany I think. Hinges from Spain. Ply and timber shell from myself and I think I remembered now Why I stopped making them. TOO much bother. Has the stitching on your strap got to much top tension?

IMGP6871_resize.JPG

IMGP6872_resize.JPG

6 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Hi Colt, I like the deer skin lining on the strap it gives a very nice contrast. I found when using this colour in deer skin suede that it looks good with just about any other colour. I used it as a lining in some briefcases I made a while back. Unfortunately the supply here got too difficult. Here's a couple of crappy pics I took.The closure fitting is a Franzen fitting I imported from Germany I think. Hinges from Spain. Ply and timber shell from myself and I think I remembered now Why I stopped making them. TOO much bother. Has the stitching on your strap got to much top tension?

IMGP6871_resize.JPG

IMGP6872_resize.JPG

The sewing machine decided to be a complete PITA when I sewed that bag. I couldn't get it to sew right for anything. I think it was just poor temper leather. I made it from scraps/left over parts from hides I use to make purses. My mother was telling me how much she likes the wrinkles in that part of the hides, but I was telling her I don't use it on purses and stuff because it just doesn't sew consistent enough to get good stitch lines. It took me awhile to get the machine back situated again to sew right. These machines can be very frustrating at time.

I love/hate deer skin. Love the way it looks and feels, but I hate how easy the lighter colors get dirty.

Thanks everyone.