keplerts

Laporte Poly-Tuff or the Chicago Stockyard?

Are the Poly-Tuff trees by Laporte and the Chicago Stockyard trees the same tree?  Are they made out of the same material?  Is ones Association tree the same as the other?  Why would I buy one over the other or is there no difference between the two?  I have a customwer who is interested in me making them a saddle with the cable rigging but didn't know if one was better then the other or are they physically the same?  Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,

Tom

So, no one has used these trees or has any opinion between the two?

Tom,

The styles of each company is slightly different from each other.  Each company is owned by one of two brothers, and they don't compete with each other.  If you call Double H Ranch Saddlery in Wyoming you can get your questions answered.  I have used one of the LaPort trees and the customer was quite happy.  However, I didn't use the cable rigging.  Keith Howe is the brother who owns Chicago Stock Yard, and I talked with him recently at the family owned saddle shop in Wyoming.  I have worked with him before, and he was very helpful with my questions.  I have a customer who wants a lighter weight trail saddle, and I am planning on using his Wade style tree when the customer makes their final decision.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for your input.  I will give Double H a call. 

Do both brothers work out of Double H?

Thanks, again for your response.  I really appreciated it.

Tom

Tom,

I don't know if both brothers help out in the saddle shop, I was just surprised to have Heath answer the phone when I called.  His brother Shawn builds the La Porte trees, and his business cell is (313) 515-0594.  And, the shop number is (970)482-6229.

Good Luck

Okay, Thanks a lot!  I am going to give them a call tomorrow.

Okay, I called and talked to Shawn about the LaPorte trees.  He was very willing to answer all my questions explaining some of the differences between the two.  I decided to order a Laporte tree over the Chicago Stock yard tree. Getting the Association tree with cable rigging, 3 X 3 horn, 12 inch swells, 15 1/2" seat, 5" x 12 1/2" cantle in Quarter horse bars.  Lead time is about 3 weeks.  This will be my first saddle so I'm really excited to get started!

Tom

Tom,

Have you received your tree yet? 

Ron

Ron,

NOOOOO!   I ordered it from Shawn and told me it would ship in three weeks.  My customer wanted an update at three weeks so I talked to shawn and he said it would be done on the following Friday  which would have been 3 1/2 weeks.  As of today I haven't heard or received anything yet.  So it has now been six weeks.  If I don't hear anything by this Wednesday I will give him a call.  I'm getting kind of nervous.  Thanks for asking.  I will keep you posted.

Tom

I purchased a tree from laporte and it took several months till I received it. I was not that impressed with the finish work on the tree itself although it is fairly easy to shape it to suit you. I ordered what Shawn called their "quarter flat" bars which is supposed to fit a flatter backed muscular horse. It does not. It still has entirely too much rock to fit anything that doesn't have a decent set of whithers. Basically what a 90 degree tree would fit only now it takes a heavier pad because of the width in the gullet. The up side is that since this is your first saddle you don't have to worry about the rigging being square. If you use a wide centered cinch without the collar stops it will find it's own place and stay. You may need to customize the ground seat to suit your taste as the seat they send is pretty flat. Good luck on you first saddle but be patient the tree most likely won't arrive when they say it will:) hope this is informative 

JHayek,

Thanks for your insight and comments about the tree.  It was informative.  I can be patient when I'm told a certain time frame and the product or service is delivered or performed.  But It is hard to be patient when you are told something will ship in three weeks and it doesn't.  Then told it will be done on a certain day and it obviously is not.  Just tell me when it will ship and ship it.   I know.... I guess I will just have to be patient! :) 

PS:  Beautiful saddle by the way!

I agree. My suggestion of patience was said tounge in cheek. Sarcasm can be difficult to convey in text form. Thank you for the compliment on the saddle I wasn't trying to hijack your thread just want to give a reference to go with the opinion.

No worry here.  I value your opinion.  By the looks of your saddle you must know what your talking about.  I'll update here when I hear or receive something!

Has anyone rode one of these trees for any period of time very hard?  I was a rawhide covered wood tree guy for a long time.  Last few years I have been building on wood trees with a fiberglass cover.  I have had great success with them fitting horses and standing up to some serious wrecks.   It is not that I automatically dismiss new ideas but I would like to visit with someone that has used one of these LaPorte trees in a situation where he is riding a lot of different horses and roping a lot of big cattle outside in extreme weather on a daily basis.   Just Curious.

I only know one guy who has one. His sure enough gets used hard and on lots of different horses. I haven't talked to him about it for a few years, but he said it had to be kept cinched really tight or it'd roll around, and he didn't like roping anything very big with it. I always meant to try building one,  more for the trail/pleasure riders than anything. The lighter weight and lack of rigging bulk would sure be an advantage for those folks.

I talked with Shawn of Laporte Saddle trees on Wednesday.  Told me my tree was just cast and is curing.  He said it will ship on Friday (Yesterday).  We  will see!

Finally got my tree last Monday.  Now for the fun!

Details:

Modified Association

Cable rigging

15 1/2 " seat

12 swells

3" high by 3" diameter horn

13" cantle

22" bars

7 3/4 " gullet height

6 3/4" gullet width

Quarter Horse bars

150.jpg