Okay y'all, so I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm still trying to navigate through the pages, so if this is something that has been resolved or answered, just kindly if y'all will link me to the response! So my delema is that I've been using acrylic resoline as a finish on all my leather goods that I make, which overall leaves a good presentation, as far as sheen and sealing/protecting goes. But what the problem ends up being is that once you bend the leather around say for a belt or like a watch strap, the Resoline seems to wrinkle and actually crack over time and use. Have any of you had this problem before? Is this just how it works out, and if it is, is there something somewhat like acrylic res that I can use? I'll drop some pics for y'all so y'all can see what I mean. 

image.jpeg

Edited by PrimroseHandmade

Are you cutting the Resolene, most people cut it 50/50 with distilled water and then you should make sure that you only apply one or two very light coats, most cracking results from applying too much resolene.   Your picture looks like there is a fairly substantial build up of finish. There are other finishes, but Resolene is a staple in the leather working world, with Clear Lac being another. Some folks use Mop and Glo floor polish cut 50/50 with distilled water. I have used it and it seems a lot like Resolene and I don't think your results would be any better.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794
Add content

Chief nailed it, . . . too much product on the project, . . . or not thinned properly.

A light coating of Resolene is all that is needed.

May God bless,

Dwight

15 minutes ago, Dwight said:

A light coating of Resolene is all that is needed.

May God bless,

Dwight

Most things will crack if applied in heavy coats -- including caulking, house paint, floor wax.. blahblah

Pastor Dwight will no doubt tell you that a cord of three strands is very strong (and three light coats is better than one heavy coat.)

I have a pretty intense dislike for Acrylic Resolene, beyond the fact that I don't care for the way it can make project look so shiny (undiluted).

Depending on your finish, AR can be a disaster. I used it over antiquing once and it dissolved the antique paste and ruined my project. I'll never use it again.

Other people swear by it but I prefer Bag Kote.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

I like to use resolene on my wallets because it makes the leather firmer where it needs to be. I had cracks before on folding edges but that got solved when I started applying a layer of carnauba on top of the cured resolene. Does this makes sense? My experience so far is that this way I get firmer leather with a soft touch to it.

Thank you all for the responses! I've definitely been cutting the Resoline 50/50 for a while now, it's way too shiny if you don't, plus it makes for faster drying imo. But I'll make sure to now only use a coat or two, I actually didn't know that applying too much might cause this, I might also try bag kote, I see lots of ppl using it here on this site. THANKS!