Guest Mark B

Embossing/Stamping Finished Leather?

Guest Mark B

Hi,

I'm looking to give these bags as groomsmen gifts and am wondering if you folks can tell me the best way to get five different sets of initials (three letters per set) on the top leather tab (right below the handle) in order to personalize the bags?

http://www.filson.com/duffle-bag-small.html

I'm a newbie to the leather world and am wondering whether these would be able to be embossed/stampoed or whether I'd have to have them laser engraved?

I read the description of the bag you linked to and they say that the tabs and straps are made out of bridle leather. I work with bridle leather for belts and horse tack and it can be stamped or tooled with alphabet stamps and leather craft tools. If you want to dye the impressions, use acrylic paint with a fine point brush. Wipe off any overflow on the top grain with a wet cloth. Add a clear sealer to make the dark impressions permanent and you should be good to go.

Guest Mark B

Wizcrafts: I'm going for it - thank you for the guidance!

Two questions:

I seem not to be able to get a good impression into the leather with my stamp. Instead, micro bouncing of the stamp tool with each strike of my hammer made several shallow stamps within a milimeters of eachother. 

Is there a way to use a clamp or vise to make a crisp, deep stamp?

You can use a clamp or a vise as a press to make nice clear impressions.

You can also use a dead-blow hammer to eliminate the bounce that occurs when using a hammer/mallet.

Tom

PS I'll also move this thread to "How Do I Do That".

To many here it is obvious but for a beginner I must point out that not only has the hammer got to not bounce but more importantly the bed your hitting down onto must have no bounce. many use 2'' marble and granite and such.

To many here it is obvious but for a beginner I must point out that not only has the hammer got to not bounce but more importantly the bed your hitting down onto must have no bounce. many use 2'' marble and granite and such.

Agreed. Plus, your bench must be solid.

I got a fairly heavy steel workbench, then glued up two pieces of 3/4 ply on top of the 5/8" MDF top the bench came with. Total thickness is now 2-1/8". It's no point having a good stone block if the entire bench top bounces.