alexitbe

Claes 214-1 or 7 cylinder sewing machine (Singer 45k clone)

I have just arrived in from a very long day, including a 30 km walk with a hand wagon, but I had to let you guys know my happiness...

I will take pics tmrw, but just to wet your appetite, its came with 6 intersting feet... And a fewf other stuff I don't know what they do...

I am not sure how  old the machine is, but they guy I bought from was about 55 and it belongued to his grandfather who was a shoemaker... I had several presses, which I would have bought, but I knew I had a very long walk ahead of me and couldn't manage anymore..

The chap also had a Claes RPX 3 Patcher, which goes through about 12mm of leather...

Pics tmrw..

Alex

So now for some pictures... :)

I had read that these type of machine can badly mark the underside of the leather... So I put the grain side (4.5mm Veg Tan) on the bottom to see what the feed dogs will do... As you can see, the marks are not too bad and might eve be able to be hammered out. No adjustment of the machine had been made by me at all..

Claes214GrainSideBottomStitch.JPG

Claes214FleshSideTopStitch.JPG

The extra feet that came with are shown below...Claes214Extras_02.JPG

And a few pics of the machine, including incredibly dirty hook with thread stuck behind...  I will leave that alone since it sews well for now...

For some reason the rest of my pics won't load...I will sort out tmrw..

Sorry

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

Sounds good, I for one look forward to seeing the machine.  

I take it you walked the machine home?  If so, well done.   I have difficulty getting some customers to walk a mile to collect their package from a collection point.

Hi Lumpendoodle2,

Yes, I walked it part way home.... But I really had to have it... ;)

I have been cleaning it this last few nights, but these are the photos I took before then.

I thought the logo on the key and the other "thing" was a little Mackintosh in style.. .I wonder if it is of that period.  

The take up spring on the side is more than simply a spring.  This contrasts to the Claes 214-7 I have seen.  There is also an extra  metal stop that stops the take-up spring dropping lower and this isn't found o the 214-7 that I have seen (The only one I have seen)

Claes214Front_01.JPGClaes214Hook_01.JPGClaes214Logo_05.JPG

Edited by alexitbe

Nice find - CLAES' for sure are quality machines. Interesting wider feed dog it has. Not sure but it seems to have reverse also, right?

I have a German Manual for the Adler 4 and 5 which are technically pretty much identical - file is too big to attach but I can send it by email if you want - just send me your email by PM

Edited by Constabulary

Hi Constab,

Yes it was a good find... I must say I am very pleased with it and the fact that it does not seem to mark the leather too much.  This time I made sure that I got all the extras with it...  It took me a while to realise that these can be as expensive as the machine itself...  Funily enough I bought two Claes machines in a matter of two weeks... My Singer Patcher was stolen about 6 months ago from the Keller Taush and I have been scouring the internet for a replacement since then.  The Claes Patcher is simply superior in every way... Accept I cannot get presser feet...Yet.. ;)

It does have a reverse, as you suggest. I wonder why it would have a wider feed dog... more surface are to grip, but for what?

Thanks for the offer of the manuals... I'll pm you shortly.

Cheers

Alex

Looks good, and it was obviously meant for you.    I'm sure the machine appreciates the effort you have gone to.  

I had never heard of Claes until your posting.   Another machine for me to look out for.

Alexitbe,

Where are you located?  I can tell you where to get feet for the machine.  Need pics of the machine.

glenn

Hi shoepatcher,

I am in Germany, so maybe your guy would not be willing to send here... Its funny how you can find the presserfoot for the patcher, there but I cannot here... :(:)

I have found something new about the CLaes 214-1.  The foot can either be fixed or  move with the leather, in the same way as the Adler 105-8. 

My feeddogs are a little sharp so I will blunt them with some 1000 grit sandpaper

Alexitbe,

That Claes should use the same feet as today's machine.  The Claes of today is built in Germany.  There has to be a distributor in Germany for those machines.  You may have to contact a company that sells shoe repair equipment in Germany.  Send us pics of the shoepatcher!

glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the info.  I am just waiting for an invoice.... I am glad to hear the modern feet will fit the patcher...

Cheers

ALex