CraftyNick

Crossbody bag, first big leather project

I'm still learning the ropes of crafting with the leather medium, but I have not much patience for practicing rituals.  Why shouldn't a beginner start with something they are excited to make?  Anyway, just finished this bag/purse for my Mom as a birthday gift.  Since I have been learning a lot from this board, I just thought I'd share my project :)

Thanks for looking.  I enjoy learning from suggestions and critique!  

NKN_8679.jpg

NKN_8682.jpg

NKN_8685.jpg

NKN_8687.jpg

NKN_8689.jpg

NKN_8693.jpg

Well you've got the basics going!  Now time and experience will sharpen your technique.  I'm no carving/stamping expert but it looks good to me.  The overall cutting and design is good too.  Biggest room for improvement is the stitching.  I saw that in another post of yours, I think.  You are somehow stitching without priority, both left hand/right hand and possibly over/under.  Study Nigel Armitage or Ian Atkinson on Youtube for technique and tips.  I think you said you are using a chisel.  Which specific one?

Sorry, should have checked the other thread.  The Craftool chisel from Tandy is excellent, I use one all of the time.  You can polish it to make it easier to remove or stick the tines in beeswax before hammering.  You are definitely doing something different with the needle priority.  I will try to add a pic of one of my bags with the Craftool chisel.

Not the best examples or pics but they were handy.  While far from perfect, they have a "regular appearance" with small variances.  I've done better, AND worse!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Tugadude
Added text

Hi Tugadude,  Thanks for your comments.  I see based on your pictures that I do have room for improvement in the stitching.  I will have to figure out what's going on with it.  I think I was doing the same thing for most stitches, but it may have gotten flipped and what not now and then.  I may have noticed some mess-ups in at the time without going back to correct because I had to get the thing done.  It took me like 2 hrs to sew one panel.  I hope I willbe able to get my stitching to look better.  I think I might have too thin thread for the holes this chisel makes. What guage/thickness thread  do you use with the Craftool 3mm spacing tool?  

It varies.  Some is .8 mm and some is 1.0.  That is the braided polyester I use.  What you see in the pics is a waxed thread from Tandy.  It has 3 strands.  If I had to compare it, I would say closer to the .8 mm.  Are you using a stitching pony or similar?

BTW, don't take any comments as critical.  You took on a very advanced project there and did some fine work!

The carving looks great to me. I'm sure your mom willbeproud to carry your first project around.

I'm not much for critiquing tooling (because I'm not any good at it), but a little brown on those mountains would make your bird pop.

Just a thought.

Luv your bird design - is it your own? The way that you have used stamps to create the look of feathers is genius! Stitching does need practice and I think it would be a big improvement to finish the edges of both the bag and the strap. A sanding block can be used to buff the seams to even them out. It looks like a water stain (or something) has marred the front lower corner - this can be fixed with a mild solution of oxalic acid which is sold in hardware stores as a rust and stain remover. This is great for any type of discoloration on leather.

Great first effort and I bet mum loves it.

Cheers, Lois

Hey thanks for the comments.  Keeping the project out of trouble while shuffling it around on the work bench proved to be unsuccessful for me.  I'm glad to hear there is a way to remove the water stain in the corner.  Thanks for telling me about oxalic acid.  I did actually try to finish the edges of the bag and strap, though obviously I need to improve my technique on that too.  I did not borrow the design for the bird.  I made my own design and patterns for this project.  

I'm with Bikermutt in that I'd love to see a bit more contrast with the bird from the background behind it, because it's BEAUTIFUL!  It really deserves to pop out, and the rest of the dying looks great too!  As for the stitching ::cough:: well, it's better than what I did for my bag, but that's not saying much, sadly. ;)  At the rate you're going I'm sure you'll have it mastered in short order.  

Thanks Gary.  I was attempting a bit of pictoral carving there with the bird and mountains, I see what you you mean about the lack of contrast, though I was kind of confused how to pull it off with the pictoral and floral carving together.  Comes from being a novice I guess.  Let's just say the stitching was functional rather than fashionable on this project, along with hopes for improvement in the future. :)  

Great attitude Nick. My 1st project was a lined briefcase! Took me nearly 2yrs to complete whilst I learned all the techniques.

to understand saddle stitch get hold of a copy of Al Stohlman's book The Art of Hand Sewing Leather. Full of really useful, clear diagrams and tips.

I use a stitch grooved and over stitch wheel to mark my stitching and then use an awl as described in the book to make the holes. Still drop the awl on a regular basis!

Main thing is to have fun.

Thanks Spindrift57,  I did enjoy making the project very much.  Thanks for the pointer on the book.

Awesome first project , and such nice critique from all , its great to share and learn. :rockon: