Steve75

Edge Bevelers

I think I see a set of these qc bevelers in my future. You could even make your own handles for them if you wanted.

I love my Goods Japan beveler... great price, great quality... 

I replaced my vintage Craftool and am now getting perfect results.  I bevel dry.  

Ok so after about 10 more projects I am in even more love with the Weaver mastertools edger!! I was able to use it so far down to 1.8mm leather which is nice if you only have money for one tool. I haven't tried thinner because I rarely use anything thinner. It skirts around outside and inside tight corners like a dream and for the first time in my life I am able to go completely around a holster with all its curves and turns and come out with one long string of leather from the edger. Part of it is the design of the tool helps you use it better. The slight S curve to the blade and the handle shape are admittedly making me better at using it and .... its just a really sharp awesome tool.

Alright now it has been about 3 more months and I am still in love with this edger. I am not kind to edgers meaning I dont specially case the leather or anything else. I edge the stuff dry, sometimes it has resolene already sprayed on and maybe some acrylic antique. I strop it about 20 times every couple of projects and its good to go. I havent sharpened it up since I bought it just strop. The short legs let me get into really tight curves and I really like the steel. Dont know if they already deleted my business account because I want one more and was hoping to get it at the reseller price but even at full price its a great tool.

I agree.   I have their #2 master tools edger and like it as well.  I like all their master tool tools.  Good and always sharp out of the box and at a fair price.

I recently bought a "slight" upgrade from the basic Tandy kit bevelers, yep, I forked over the cash for a Craftool Pro beveler, size 0. It's all I use now. So, a slight upgrade in quality beveler is that significant improvement over the base model. Cased or dry, it cuts one nice, purdy, (as JLS would say) strip of leather. When you go to burnish, it's effortless compared to the raggedy a$$ed edge you found previously. Slightly turning the tool inward toward the inside of the piece, or outwards toward the face, will give you a predictable edge. Nice. Changing the angle of handle to work will also give you immense control over the cut. I can only imagine what a truly quality tool can do for you!

9 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

I recently bought a "slight" upgrade from the basic Tandy kit bevelers, yep, I forked over the cash for a Craftool Pro beveler, size 0. It's all I use now. So, a slight upgrade in quality beveler is that significant improvement over the base model. Cased or dry, it cuts one nice, purdy, (as JLS would say) strip of leather. When you go to burnish, it's effortless compared to the raggedy a$$ed edge you found previously. Slightly turning the tool inward toward the inside of the piece, or outwards toward the face, will give you a predictable edge. Nice. Changing the angle of handle to work will also give you immense control over the cut. I can only imagine what a truly quality tool can do for you!

I too have the 0 model and it does pretty good. I have found it to be a little big for my taste though. I finally saw a 00 at the store the other day, but I couldn't remember which I had already. 

I actually love the grip too. I beveled 8 straps in a row the other day and thought it was very comfortable.

Still need to grab that 00 though.

good thread.

On 1/30/2017 at 7:41 PM, bikermutt07 said:

I too have the 0 model and it does pretty good. I have found it to be a little big for my taste though. I finally saw a 00 at the store the other day, but I couldn't remember which I had already. 

I actually love the grip too. I beveled 8 straps in a row the other day and thought it was very comfortable.

Still need to grab that 00 though.

Update. I have had the 00 for quite some time. I use it the most.