Colt W Knight

1911 Dont Tread On Me Holster

A friend of mine calls and says her friends husband is having a birthday and they want me to make a holster for him. Well, I don't really do holsters. I don't have a big enough sewing machine, and I don't hand stitch anymore. First, I asked them what handgun he had because its real easy to say no when I know they have a hand gun I do not have to use as a pattern/wet form. Since he was a Glock guy, I told them I didn't have one to use, so I couldn't make one. Well, a week before his birthday he buys a Kimber 1911, and they called again knowing damn well I have an entire collection of 1911s. First thing I told them was that they should have a real holster guy make it, and they just said no, they want me to make it. I used JLS 1911 pattern, modified it some to suit my needs, and made a holster. It is Wicket and craig 4/5 ounce vegtan with the same leather as a liner. Like I said, I don't have the machine for this work, so all the important seams got double stitched with #138 bonded nylon, and the perimeter is single stitch #138. I dyed it with Fiebings pro oil Mahogany, and airbrushed the edge with fiebings pro oil black. I just printed the flag out from the internet and tooled it, and used 1/4" Tandy letters. I did wet mold it, and harden it in the oven. I am not a big fan of boning out holsters so you can see ever line and crevice, so I just mold it enough for retention and call it good.

I did tool it with my handmade bevelers.

Here it is with my Colt 1911 before the final clear and baking

dont%20tread%20on%20me%202_zpsjafmkf3c.j

They were all really happy with it, and here it is finished with its new Kimber

dont%20tread%20on%20me_zpsilfdg1rt.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

Looks to me like a holster guy may have made it.  Nice work, you're way too modest.

Thanks yall

Nice looking holster. I like the dark airbrushing around the sides.

Thanks, Sporty. When I build guitars, I call that finish a sunburst. 

Colt, if you don't mind me asking, what airbrush do you use and what type of dye do you spray? I've been wanting to do this on some of the holsters I make and have been trying to read up on airbrushes. Found a few good tips on this forum, but always open to suggestions. Thanks

I use a nice Iwata brush, and spray Fiebings pro oil dye. I fussed with cheap air brushes for a while, and they were always breaking, leaking, clogging, sputtering or something. The iwata just works like it's supposed to. I clean it with an ultrasonic cleaner. I am very happy I invested in an airbrush 

Thanks, I have been holding off because I wasn't sure of what would handle the dye without clogging up. I know some people on here get along fine with the cheap airbrushes, but I have been looking at some of the iwata brushes just trying to find the best model for the application. Thanks again, keep up the nice work!

Mine is HP-C, I believe.