I have a customer who wants neoprene compression sleeves made and all of his examples are all zig zag stitched. He is wanting large quantities made and I'm not opposed to buying a machine to do the job (who doesn't like a new toy) but I'm unsure what machine to get. I've been looking at singer 20u models but don't know their limitations i.e thread size,foot lift. Any knowledge or opinions on these machines or any other zig zag capable machine is much appreciated 

Depends on the thickness you have to sew and the thread size. I´d at least look for a machine with a wide feed dog like the 20U you mentioned. Another option would an older Singer 140W, Dürkopp 252, Singer 307G2, Singer 457. Or a double needle Zig Zag like the Singer 167W.

For something real heavy look for an Adler 166, 266 or the like.

Or maybe the Tech Sew website will give you some ideas:

http://www.techsew.com/machinery/industrial-sewing-machines/regular-stitch-and-zig-zag.html?limit=all

I've had a 20U33 for some time....My comments would be....

1. It uses a "stop motion" washer to release the handwheel when winding bobbins just like a *domestic* machine....this limits how much load you can actually expect in terms of penetrating power.

2. Mine is quite temperamental about thread tension as the material you sew gets thicker, even with T-70 thread.

3. I consider the bottom-feed-only transport to be marginal for difficult materials.

4. The bobbin capacity is quite small for doing long runs of a wide-throw zig-zag which REALLY consumes thread.

I think a heavier, sticky material may compound all the above issues. The older blue-colored machines are said to "act" slightly more HD than the later bronze painted machines like mine, and had a slightly wider ZZ throw capacity.  Both were made in Japan, and decent for what they were intended to sew.

-DC

Closing long neoprene sleeves with a butt seam is very much a specialty sewing operation. Your feed-off-the-arm zig-zag machine is probably the right approach, preferably chain stitch. Personally, I'd be reluctant to commit to production work using a single, highly specialized, rare and used machine. If anything on that machine breaks you're no longer producing anything and parts/service may not be available. You might as well calculate two new machines into your quote for the job. Your customer may not like that quote and you may not get the job, but that's not the worst outcome I can think of.

I agree with Uwe, neoprene ( like wet-suits etc ) is usually done with chain stitch ( looks like zig-zag, if you don't know what you are looking for though )..I have one of the old light blue 20U33 Singers 9mm zig -zag, if you go that way, you'll need to widen the zig-zag slot out a little if you use it at 9mm with over 92 thread..and go slow, or it will catch the needle and snarl/snag..and it will only be a zig-zag, not the proper chain stitch zig-zag.

Edited by mikesc

Feed Off The Arm machines are for cloth.

2 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Feed Off The Arm machines are for cloth.

Ok, I'll bite, How DO they sew the sleeves on a wetsuit anyways?

There are new walking foot machines that do zig zag sewing. They are not cheap, but they will transport sticky and bulky materials. Plus, most can use up to #138 thread. Ask your favorite industrial sewing machine dealer (preferably, one who supports this forum) about getting one.

Good info., first thing I would look at is a top and bottom feed zig zag, here are two;

Consew 347R Series (WS is for wet suit) feed off the arm type

Consew 146RB-1A-1WS flat bed type

On 10/7/2016 at 11:51 PM, bootleg leather said:

I have a customer who wants neoprene compression sleeves made and all of his examples are all zig zag stitched. He is wanting large quantities made and I'm not opposed to buying a machine to do the job (who doesn't like a new toy) but I'm unsure what machine to get. I've been looking at singer 20u models but don't know their limitations i.e thread size,foot lift. Any knowledge or opinions on these machines or any other zig zag capable machine is much appreciated 

20u and 021d201 series are embroidery machines in essential, because despite have power to sew even a soft leather or jeans, with appropriate needle, this machines was made to speedy and no to power.. i have a 021d, but I'm restoring now a durkopp 252-4(similar/clone of singer 107/143)..its more slowly, but i can sew ¼ of leather easily....