Rustedmoon

Finally getting started, but where to begin?

Hello,

I'm yet another new-to-the-forums person with an interest in learning leathercrafting.  I've been lurking for a while now, and have a friend who's guided me through a simple card holder project that involved stitching, but haven't done much beyond that.

I have a lot of questions, but I guess the first ones are: Is there a guide to the different types of leathers available?  I've seen the pinned threads in the "All About Leather" section, and I'm trying to relate that to what I see available for sale around the web.

Also, is there anywhere that sells small quantities of the different types of leather?  I wouldn't be able to make use of a whole side (or at least I can't imagine doing so), and especially since right now I'm not exactly sure which kind of leather I want.

Some of the projects I have in mind are leather pouches / pencil cases, and a few cuff / bracelet type items if that helps.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum,  lots of very nice and very knowledgable people here who are all willing to help.

Having said that, since you didnt say what part of the world you are located in it is sort of hard to tell you where to shop for small pieces of leather.    A local Tandys, if there is one near you could supply what you need.  If you are located in the US look at the springfield leather web site - they are one of the advertisers on this website and you can follow their link from their add.    Give us some idea of where you are located and it is likely that someone will be able to recommend a local supplier close to you.

Again welcome, have fun and remember this if a very addictive hobby.

rick

From the IP address, the OP appears to be located in Singapore.

I would advise all members to at least add their country, and maybe the state as well to their profile.  It will enable people who live in the same general area to give you more helpful advice.

Tom

7 hours ago, Rustedmoon said:

Hello,

I'm yet another new-to-the-forums person with an interest in learning leathercrafting.  I've been lurking for a while now, and have a friend who's guided me through a simple card holder project that involved stitching, but haven't done much beyond that.

I have a lot of questions, but I guess the first ones are: Is there a guide to the different types of leathers available?  I've seen the pinned threads in the "All About Leather" section, and I'm trying to relate that to what I see available for sale around the web.

Also, is there anywhere that sells small quantities of the different types of leather?  I wouldn't be able to make use of a whole side (or at least I can't imagine doing so), and especially since right now I'm not exactly sure which kind of leather I want.

Some of the projects I have in mind are leather pouches / pencil cases, and a few cuff / bracelet type items if that helps.

Thanks!

Done!

As northmount noted, I'm in Singapore.  There's only one local supplier of leather that I know of, stocking just "leather" for upholstery and shoemaking work.

Luckily ordering stuff off the web is a very reasonable option for me, especially from US based stores.

I had a quick look at Springfield Leather's web site, and I have to say I'm still confused as to what's a good starting point.  Will take a look at Tandy as well.

If it's clothing, shoes, purses, or back packs that's usually chrome tanned leather. It's usually flexible.

If it's knife sheaths, holters, saddles, or belts it's usually veg tanned.

You will find lots of terms like bridle, latigo, strap, oiled, most of the time this is referring to veg tanned leather.

Terms like pull up, garment, bag or chap leather will be referring to chrome tanned.

This list is not complete, or even completely truthful(given that a lot of terms are interchanged from one store to the next.

It's kind of a crap shoot you just have to struggle through in the beginning.

Springfield will be a Great place to start. You can even email them and get help.

Hope this helps a little. Keep having fun.

hi moon, :-) my advise would be to start with plain old veg tan, you can buy it in all shapes and sizes,and thicknesses, aside from some oiled bullhide, veg tan is the go to leather for me, i use 3- 3.3mm for belts and fetish collars/pet collars and occasionally for bags,depending on the customers preference . however for things like bags and purses i use 1-2.5mm veg tan, the thinner veg can be used to make pretty much anything and will take a carve. 

if carving is something you are interested in, try to make something from the 3mm, the thicker the leather gives better results than the thinner stuff ,and in the long run will give you a better feel for carving on the thinner leathers. 

i started around 3 years ago and its part of my working life now, im no where near supporting myself yet but im hoping in time it will at least keep the wolf from the door. places like etsy.com are a good place to look for ideas and eventually sell your wares if you so choose.

i live in england and my shop of preference is theidentitystore.co.uk they sell some really lovely veg tan and other leathers and tools too, however its probably a bit too far for you lol.  

welcome the forum and we are all looking forward to seeing your work here soon. :-) 

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, been busy, but I have been looking around.

I have no plans to do any carving or stamping for now... that all seems quite a bit beyond me... ;)

Is all veg-tanned leather stiff? And is it possible to treat leather to soften or harden it?

Also, what do you do when you need a particular colour?  Is it easier to find something off the shelf, or to dye something to the shade you'd like?

I've been able to pick up a sample of Hermann Oak UK Bridle leather and I'm quite surprised.  It's dyed black, but I was expected it to be struck through.  A bit more flexible than I expected though.

On 11/17/2016 at 9:37 AM, Rustedmoon said:

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, been busy, but I have been looking around.

I have no plans to do any carving or stamping for now... that all seems quite a bit beyond me... ;)

Is all veg-tanned leather stiff? And is it possible to treat leather to soften or harden it?

Also, what do you do when you need a particular colour?  Is it easier to find something off the shelf, or to dye something to the shade you'd like?

I've been able to pick up a sample of Hermann Oak UK Bridle leather and I'm quite surprised.  It's dyed black, but I was expected it to be struck through.  A bit more flexible than I expected though.

Veg Tan is usually stiffer. I'm new at this too, but from browsing Tandy Leather and their catalogs, veg tan is for any kind of stamping. But for a bracelet, too! Especially, if you plan to put a snap in it for a closure.

A pouch can be made from thin veg tan or from suede or other lighter leather. It depends on what size and and it's use. and what you want to do with it. If you plan on doing stamped designs, I think from what everybody has said and what I've seen is you need to use veg tan. If you are just doing beadwork on a pouch, then perhaps some economy suede splits will work. It's pretty easy to stitch and comes in a lot of pretty colors. Tandy also usually has a bargain bin but I'm not sure if they have that in their online catalog or not. Those usually contain a couple of square feet of leather at a really low price and they come in all kinds of colors w/different leathers.

I don't believe you will be able to do a drawstring type pouch with veg tan. I don't think it would be suitable for it because it's too stiff. You can get some apparel or fashion leathers for that kind of thing.

I don't personally know what you would do if you need a particular color other than to buy and mix dyes or get some of that acrylic leather paint and mix it. Except for the soling leather I bought, it's usually the color I want when I get it and although I scrounge leather from used furniture sometimes, other than cleaning it and conditioning it, I haven't tried to recolor it yet.

Go to Tandy Leather's website; at the bottom of the home page there are lists of various bits of advice & information. It includes 'Leathercraft ABCs' and 'Leather Buying Guide'

If there's anything you would like to make, search YouTube; it will usually be on there, or something very similar

Search YouTube and there are about 10 pages for leatherwork, each with about 20 videos. That would give you plenty of advice and background; those by Ian Atkinson/Leodis Leather & Nigel Armitage/Armitage Leather are considered pretty good

Armitage does a video called How to make a simple Handmade Wallet, or some similar title; yes, it's for a wallet, but it is actually a good introduction to leatherwork as well