YinTx

Smallest thing I've made so far: 1/2" watch strap

So far, the smallest item I've made other than zipper pulls... finally got up enough nerve to attempt a watch strap.... custom made for a very small wrist... and a tiny watch.  My pinky is bigger than these straps!  The 432 Fil Au Chinois is a bit too thick for this application, but... the recipient seems really really happy, so thats what matters... :)

WatchStrap1LoRes.jpg

WatchStrap3LoRes.jpg

WatchStrap4LoRes.jpg

YinTx

46 minutes ago, YinTx said:

the recipient seems really really happy, so thats what matters... :)

Cant be better than that by much I reckon.:)

Aussie,

Indeed, the measure of success. :)

Cedric, thanks for that.  I struggled with this since it was so small.  I will use a smaller (maybe 632 thread?) thread next time and hope for a better outcome.

BTW, anyone know what kind of leather this might be?  Fairly thin, and quite strong, unique texture/finish.  I had some in a batch of mixed leathers.. so I'm not sure..

YinTx

Very nice work.  I'm gonna guess dry milled veg tan.

Tugadude,

Thanks for the complement.  The lining layer is 1 oz Hermann Oak veg tan leather.  The outside, not sure... it is fairly dense leather, and pretty strong.  I have some dry milled veg tan, which is pretty soft to the touch.  This is a firmer leather, almost a lizard look, but it seems to have a lot of closely spaced follicles...so I wouldn't say lizard...could just be the finish applied to cowhide, but not really sure...

YinTx

Thor,

10SPI pricking iron, and small Vergez Blanchard Awl.

YinTx

Watch on my finger, for size comparison...

and, I had to reverse the straps.. had em on backwards for the photos!  Oh well... live and learn. :)

WatchStrap5LoRes.jpg

That is amazing work.  Not sure I could even do stitching that small.

rick

Thanks Rick.

I did learn that little errors really show on little things!  The point didn't come out quite as well as I wanted, so just means I'll try it again with a different leather. :)

YinTx

On 25.10.2016 at 0:55 AM, YinTx said:

Thor,

10SPI pricking iron, and small Vergez Blanchard Awl.

YinTx

That's small, but also common in English bridle work. I have been recommended Maxedge recently. Don't know if that's any good and if it's available in the US, but it's this stuff here http://www.leatheredgepaint.com/leather-edge-paint/maxedge-pro-leather-edge-paint/. Like Fenice it's from Italy as well, but a different company.