Here's a picture of the first Mexican loop holster rig I have made.

two holsters and a cartridge belt with twenty 45 colt loops.

comments and suggestions welcome

Joel

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

Looks great, only comment I would have is you should line that belt so the stitching doesn't show. Great job though.

I'd say it looks good, and the stitches won't show when worn. BUT, from what I have read, stitching the cartridge loops down is the weakest method. Of course, I only read that after making my belt with sewn down loops too. Oops! Overall, it looks good and functional.

2 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

I'd say it looks good, and the stitches won't show when worn. BUT, from what I have read, stitching the cartridge loops down is the weakest method. Of course, I only read that after making my belt with sewn down loops too. Oops! Overall, it looks good and functional.

Do you mean as opposed to lacing them in?

I think that is how it would be described. Woven in an out of slots in the belt. I'll be looking into that soon, when I do my next belt.

12 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

I think that is how it would be described. Woven in an out of slots in the belt. I'll be looking into that soon, when I do my next belt.

I thought about doing it that way, but the belt was wanted unlined.

It seems to me if the belt is unlined that the loops might have a tendency to snag and pull a loop out.

But honestly I do not know.

thanks

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

I don't believe that stitching loops is the "weaker" method.  ANY time you put holes in something, you take away some strength.  And bigger holes equals more loss of strength.  And slots equals bigger holes.

It's true that stitching through the LOOP leather will detract from the strength of it, as opposed to NOT stitching them.  But the loops take very little strain throughout their life, and certainly doesn't justify cutting slots or slits in teh main body of the belt.

I might have dyed the inside of the holster (at least where it shows) but overall I like it.

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I don't believe that stitching loops is the "weaker" method.  ANY time you put holes in something, you take away some strength.  And bigger holes equals more loss of strength.  And slots equals bigger holes.

It's true that stitching through the LOOP leather will detract from the strength of it, as opposed to NOT stitching them.  But the loops take very little strain throughout their life, and certainly doesn't justify cutting slots or slits in teh main body of the belt.

I might have dyed the inside of the holster (at least where it shows) but overall I like it.

Thank you.

The rig was wanted un-dyed in the areas I didn't dye it.

I offered to line it also but that isn't what was wanted.

thanks for your thoughts.

Joel

I think it looks great.

And thanks for the idea on a simple easy looking tooling pattern that turned out awesome.

On 10/30/2016 at 4:58 AM, bikermutt07 said:

I think it looks great.

And thanks for the idea on a simple easy looking tooling pattern that turned out awesome.

Thank you.

Joel