Bradford

How to perform a back stitch without a reverse machine

Didn't see a sticky for this. I have an 111w155 and want to to a back stitch / lock stitch. Is there any tricks of the trade out there or do I have to spin the material around and stitch it that way.

Edited by Bradford

Yes,spin it around is the only way to get the holes to line up.

In unseen spots, i have been known to do the ghetto backstitch, Where you pick up the foot, pull the material back 3-5 stitches, drop it, and sew over the end of your seam again. Not as pretty but will work in hidden areas.

The above ways are the fastest. On my 4500 if I want the back stitch to look nice I will cut the threads with enough extra so I can backstitch by hand. This adds a few to 10 minutes to the evolution. 

17 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

The above ways are the fastest. On my 4500 if I want the back stitch to look nice I will cut the threads with enough extra so I can backstitch by hand. This adds a few to 10 minutes to the evolution. 

I do this alot too. Especially when the backside is visible. My 5100 does not have the best backside backstitch. I probably could fiddle it a little better, but the rest of the machine is running so good, why bother. Besides, doing it by hand allows me to ditch the thread. I have a couple long needles and some long forceps that i use to grab the needle deep inside things to pull it out and leave the thread hidden inside.

2 hours ago, TinkerTailor said:

In unseen spots, i have been known to do the ghetto backstitch, Where you pick up the foot, pull the material back 3-5 stitches, drop it, and sew over the end of your seam again. Not as pretty but will work in hidden areas.

Ghetto Girl here! LOL! After doing "Ghetto backstitch" I will add a little extra insurance by taking the thread tails and tying a square knot too, if I really want to be sure it won't come undone.

9 minutes ago, suzelle said:

Ghetto Girl here! LOL! After doing "Ghetto backstitch" I will add a little extra insurance by taking the thread tails and tying a square knot too, if I really want to be sure it won't come undone.

Too slow for the tempo. When you do the ghetto backstitch, you gotta get crazy. Like 1 drop of crazy glue in the last hole.

3 hours ago, suzelle said:

A surgeon's knot, a slight modification of the square knot (aka reef knot), is more reliable than a square knot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon's_knot

Edited by Tejas