MADMAX22

Nakajima 321L cylinder arm ?

Saw this machine on CL in my area today. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bfs/5895427353.html

Have not scene one before and was curious what they can handle and just general info. Dont have the money for this one but was curious about them. 

Input appreciated. 

I think the hook and bobbin cap are spitn image of the 1341, I believe that design looks to come from Pfaff 345-7.

as far as duty related I have to resort to others with more use, I can say it is great for lighter stuff I do with no reducer.

I can say that it has the typical top loader "need to hold thread" as that catches me a bit on mine.

Its seems awhile back a couple times this style and brand was brought up, all I have used is 92 thread so far in a typical machine. Also if you need small circles another option may be best, this model looks like 5"dia.arm, and same as 341, 1341 with the standard arm.

Some newer models have been arriving on the continent lately, so any interest could be found in short order. If bigger capacities in thread are available then an understanding of the design, only because the present design has been proven under 138 thread generally. imo

I'm curious to hear about some serious use also and for sure knowledge of any factory recollection with say 6oz or better in consistent work.

The gear train is my curious question, being a pinion type setup and all that.

good day

Floyd

This machine looks more like the Singer 53/Consew227 or  a Pfaff 345 "fat arm" style rather than the Pfaff 335 small arm type machines like my Mitsubishi.

-DC

Mitsu_CU865_02.jpg

Ya that Mitsubishi does look like a singer on top, and I didn't realize the Nakajima here wasn't a walking foot, good eye!

good day

Floyd

As far as i know, Nakajima=juki in most cases. I believe Juki bought nakajima's sewing division back in the 60's or 70's when nakajima went hard into typewriters and other office equipment. There were quite a few years where both names were still sold. Often,  if you use the same model and just search for juki instead of nakajima, you find the same machine. There are also Japanese Nakajima 441's. Nakajima had been on the sewing machine market for 2 decades before juki even made their first machine, so likely Juki bought them for their designs and tooling. Nakajima started making machines in the 20's and juki in the 50's.  Machine models appear to have traveled both ways between the brands for at least a few years.

With this in mind, I guess that machine is  the same as a Juki 321.

38 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Mitsubishi - Juki - Seiko - all the same

Except when they are not of course...:deadsubject:

6 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Forgot to add Nakajima :lol:

And National

9 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

And National

I've had just about enough of your nationalism, Wiz......:excuseme:

Thanks all for the entertaining information. Now I know, and also know how to search for info relating to these in the future theoretically. 

The same person has a 280L for sale also which I kind of knew about from Wiz's various post and shared info. 

Edited by MADMAX22

I just came across this model number cross reference (snapshot from a Superior Sewing Machines PDF file) which supports a tight relationship between the Nakajima and Juki, as TinkerTailor said. The model numbers don't always line up 1:1, though.

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.35.43 PM.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Hi,

I know it's been a few months, but this machine (maybe same seller? Maybe not?) is for sale again, Craigslist Seattle.

Nakajima 321-L cylinder arm sewing machine - $1250 (Port Townsend) 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bfs/6017179557.html

I was curious about how it would sew without walking foot and found this youtube video - might answer some questions for a few folks about the machine. Even though it is not a walking foot, I think I could find it pretty useful myself, but not ready to buy anything yet. If I was though, I think I'd want to pay a bit less for it. Maybe $700? Seller has it at $1,250.00, but I know the Nakajima machines are very highly regarded. Some day I am hoping to get a cylinder arm machine.

almost forgot.. thank you all for your information on these machines, you are all so knowledgeable and this is all helpful as I am taking my time, but I am on the hunt for a machine with cylinder arm! At this point it is a want, not a need.

Edited by suzelle
thanks

He has several machines for sale. Also a nice 153w103 which has walking foot but without reverse. Price is a little steep but not sure if he takes offers. 

Madmax,

Yes, I saw the Singer 153w103 too! Drooled over that one as I love Singers. Yeah, the fact that it does not have a reverse is something you want to think of before buying. I know there are ways around that, but certainly a good price would make that an easier decision! :)