mojave

How to Split a belt blank to a thiner weight

I would like to split a belt blank for a liner on a gun belt.  I was wondering how to split its full length.  Most all blanks come 8/9 oz. and I'am not ready to start cutting my own blanks at different weights.  I made a gun belt using two blanks, and it turned out to thick.

Thank, Howard

you can try some of the hand made gadgets found with a youtube search, pay someone to do it for you or buy a splitter. If you plan on doing a lot of them, buy your own splitter. However, cutting your own blanks at the 2 weights you want will be cheaper, especially if you go with the same weight for both the front and the back.

Two points here.. in the future, if you'd like to make "double layer" belts routinely, you can do that by stacking two layers of 6/7 oz.  Makes a nice belt, and usually available from retailers.  I agree that double 9 oz is too much (and so do many of my customers).

You don't list a location.  Anybody near you can cut you a piece of 4 oz?

Location may help Howard. If you were near Rockhampton Australia I would do one split fox nix. Many others here may do likewise. Regards Brian

Thank you all,  I live in Ridgecrest, in the upper Mojave Desert of California, and as far as I know their is only one other person here that does leather.  I think I'll do what JLS suggested and buy 6/7 oz. and see if I can make some blanks.  I was thinking about buying a crank splitter, as I don't have the strength I use to have before retiring in 1998.

Thanks again, Howard

Have a great holidays

You have a ton of resources to you being in Ridgecrest, I lived in the South land all my life till moving 4 years ago to TN.  There is a leather dealer just above Santa Barbra, and of course you have Tandy in L.A. and several others that go all the way to up to Oregon, and Washington, that I am sure can supply you with cut strap material.  Do a search here on this site for dealers and you'll find one that can help you out.