Hello all, I'm looking for needles for a singer 7-33, I need 7x5 but am having no luck with google. 

7x1 or 7x3 are round points,7x2 or 7x4 are leather point & either should work in your machine.

7x1 and 7x2 - They are also referred to needles number 794 Groz-Beckert - DYX3 DYX2-LR.  some have a round point then the LR leather needles have a sharp point. 

So that is the needle system, then you need to pick the size from 19-27.  The larger the thread the bigger the needle size, •#92, #138, #207, #277, #346, #415, #554, #624, #690

You can go size 27 with thread #415 - I forgot what I had on the bottom maybe #277? 

Leather_Needle.jpg

So what are "7x5" needles then? Are they real, mystical creatures, or a typo?

Thank you guys very much!  Other than the original manual I couldn't find any information so this made my day!

Uwe, according to the manual, it calls for 7x5 for leather, but i couldn't find any information on them so I came to the experts.

Edited by Spartan

I just looked up my Singer 7-33 manual. It looks to me like fabric needles from size 19-27 belong to system 7x1, and starting with size 28 through 31 the needles belong to system 7x5. I've seen needles where the shank is actually thinner than main part of the needle, perhaps the 7x5 system belong in that category.  In most "normal" needle systems the main part of the needle is the same or thinner than the shank, but not thicker.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 9.46.12 PM.png

Edited by Uwe

That is odd on page 4 sure enough - top of the page it says 7x1 and 7x2 then goes on to mention the 7x5 and 7x6 in HUGE size 28-31? I want a size 31 leather needle! haha 

IMG_5612.PNG

My needle is bigger than yours. I actually managed to find my mystery monster needle where the shank is thinner than the main part of the needle. Here's a picture comparing it to a System 7x3 size 27 needle:

Mystery Monster Needle.jpg

Edited by Uwe

2 hours ago, Uwe said:

My needle is bigger than yours. I actually managed to find my mystery monster needle where the shank is thinner than the main part of the needle. Here's a picture comparing it to a System 7x3 size 27 needle:

Mystery Monster Needle.jpg

WOW!

System 331 (Size 10) is indeed a candidate for my mystery needle, according to this Schmetz Needle Size Comparison Chart at Universal Sewing. In the Singer world it would be a size "30". The Singer 7-33 takes a needle 7x5 Size 31 that is one size bigger than mine, at 350 Nm or 3.5 mm thick. 

NeedleSizeComparison.jpg

Edited by Uwe

The 331 doesn't have a scarf.

Needles.JPG

right, 331 have no scarf and are longer then Uwe´s (sewing) needle - so maybe it is for a bag closing machine (a guess)