WoodNick

Moving a Singer 241-12

Hi  I just purchased a Singer 241-12. It's in a second floor apartment. What do I have to do to it before I move it?

Take the head off the table and take downstairs first, that takes away 40-50lbs.

Grab another person to move the table which probably has a clutch motor which aren't light. Two people walk down stairs with the table.

That's what I usually do.

Have them tilt the head back to drain the oil out of the head before you get there.Then take a funnel & a container that holds a quart to drain the oil from the pan.Then like Madmaxx said take the head out & when you lay it down in your vehicle put it on the backside because if you lay the front down you can break the take up lever  & tension.

Also lay the table on the backside & it'll slide right in most SUV's or pickups.

I bought one of this a little while back.  Removing the head does make it much easier to move.  I made the mistake though of putting the table in my van right side up.  First left turn sent it crashing down on top of the head unit.  Thankfully nothing broke, but I had a 40 minute ride of wondering what I was going  to find when I got home to unload the potentially destroyed machine. LOL ... good times!!

Good call Bob, I forgot those had auto lubrication. Only scene a couple that a buddy had gotten for his wife. Those things are speed demons in there natural form. 

I suggest after removing the head, remove any thread stand, lights or other parts from the top of the table, then turn it upside down, and slide it down the stairs on it's top.   Just get in front of it, and let gravity do the work.   Easy one-man job that way !!

Edited by Cascabel
added info.

For what it's worth, I completely dismantled the tables of every machine I bought, made it much easier to pack safely in my car, plus I didn't need any help to move them.

I'd also vote for complete disassembly of the table for ease of movement.

The Mrs. and I got my table down the stairs with the clutch motor (probably 30# for the motor alone) installed, but it required her to take some breaks to adjust her hold and keep from dropping it on me despite me taking the heavy end and being below.

I'd say you did very well, Jim, that's not something I'd try! Those clutch motors are literally a dead weight.

I'm glad the table will be that much lighter when it comes back out again (when we move). lol  Servo is way lighter!

Don't drop a clutch motor on your foot, that's for sure.

THANKS!  to everyone for there help. It's in the van, will unload today. It's definitely a 2 man job without removing the motor. We did bring it down upside down. I'm glad I took a turkey baster to remove the oil. NO sewing machines or human's were harmed in this move!

I just moved one myself in my Venza. thanks to this post

I tilted, Drained, Funneled, Removed the head AND the motor (and light) and then it slid in on its back into the hatch.

From what I have seen and read when installing the motor should sliiiiide onto the bolts with some washers and nuts just there to hold it until you get the third one in and tighten it up.

Not in my case, there were some super rubber and metal bushings on there. I had to hold the motor up with 1 hand while I put a bolt through the hole and then a nut on the bottom.

Whew it's done! Its running but I do not believe it is oiling well.

thanks Sled

Edited by Sledzep01