thekid77

Are odors from leather dangerous??

Hi friends,

Just wondering if anybody knows if the smell or odors coming from vegetable tanned leather are dangerous?

Every time I get home with a new roll it has the strongest smell ever...just wondering if there are any health implications from the odors alone?

Thanks!

I think the only side effects are sheer bliss.

I really don't know, but I assume there aren't any dangers. The guys at the leather shops don't wear masks. Except at tandy, they wear bandanas, but that is for another reason entirely. 

Being as it is tanned with natural products (and in this case natural means just that) and the fact that I have been inhaling this "man cave" aroma for over 40 years without even a sniffle (medically documented) I would that there are no side effects from the smell of fresh vegetable-tanned leather aside from the feeling of being lost every once in awhile in a world that is not known to others.

Short answer: no, it is perfectly safe; even your dog can chew on it without any issues.  It is just plain old cow skin.

14 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

Being as it is tanned with natural products (and in this case natural means just that) and the fact that I have been inhaling this "man cave" aroma for over 40 years without even a sniffle (medically documented) I would that there are no side effects from the smell of fresh vegetable-tanned leather aside from the feeling of being lost every once in awhile in a world that is not known to others.

Short answer: no, it is perfectly safe; even your dog can chew on it without any issues.  It is just plain old cow skin.

16 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I think the only side effects are sheer bliss.

I really don't know, but I assume there aren't any dangers. The guys at the leather shops don't wear masks. Except at tandy, they wear bandanas, but that is for another reason entirely. 

-----------

Thank you for sharing guys!! Much appreciated! :)

Well if it is, I'm screwed lol. I take some scrap pieces and put them in some cheesecloth.... put it under my seats in my vehicle..... I LOVE that smell.

The odor of leather is a known intoxicants -- long term exposure to it makes you want to purchase more of it and add it to your leather stash.
Beware! Children of America are being led astray into the dangers of leatherwork even as we speak!  ;-)

the odor of fresh leather is almost better then your wife when she's fresh out of the shower, it aint something you want to admit to, that could lead to death call.