Evo160K

Singer 45K Treadle Base Parts Information or Parts List

Yes it looks like they just cut it out and sanded the corners?

Thanks Jimi.

As I mentioned in my request for info. regarding some flat springs for a 45K and a 29k, I have just acquired a Singer 45K68,  along with it was the flywheel, or inertia wheel, of its original treadle base.  Now all the photos here and elsewhere show that these flywheels have a relatively short central shaft, but not my one.  The shaft is 28 inches long and the wheel is 17inches diameter, and it is heavy!  Now its most unlikely that I will need this flywheel, so if anybody is interested in it then please contact me.  It would be horrendously expensive to ship to the USA no doubt but there maybe somebody here in the UK searching for just this item!!!

100_4871 (Medium).JPG

100_4872 (Medium).JPG

100_4873 (Medium).JPG

Davidmadd,

Your flywheel is the same diameter as the one I acquired recently with the base, yours has three belt pulleys, mine only two.  I have no idea what base uses your wheel.  You're correct about it being heavy, I paid $60 USD to bring it to the US from the UK.

Hi David, could you put some pictures up of your machine for us? it is always good to see the various classes of this machine and what they were used for. the 68 would be for stitching soles on boots?? would that be right? and it also cut a channel in the sole to hide the stitches? if you need some parts there was someone selling a feed dog for your machine??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Simanco-FEED-DOG-95101-for-Singer-45K69-45k-69-/272132484551?hash=item3f5c5c2dc7:g:qokAAOSwKtVWvnhl

Sorry to digress from the topic of the treadle Al.

Edited by jimi

Well, there's good news and not so good news.  The good news is the three packages of base parts arrived safely, no problems.  The not so good news is the support, it's tapered mounting bolt, it's nut and the two top mounting screws are missing.  The seller contacted the previous owner who said he had never seen them.  So there's no way in h-ll I'll ever find those parts for sale unless a miracle happens.  That, of course, means I either jury rig a support or figure out how to have one replicated.

The base has been assembled, oiled and adjusted, it works smoothly, silently and well.  It's built to Singer's usual specification.....like a brick s--t house.....that flywheel is massive, I'm pleased with the quality.  It'll come apart later for cleaning and whatever.  In the meantime, I'll use it as a platform to fabricate a top for it.  Here are a few pictures of the base.  You can see in the first picture, the round, tapered hole to the upper right of the "R", where the missing support is supposed to attach.    It's always something isn't it!

IMG_4712.JPG.6403666ee44ae9a81ce157dd39b901f9.JPGIMG_4713.JPG.df22f0b4e22fba6486986e908c1a9b37.JPGIMG_4715.JPG.4e9857499b8d727f3351d63553b0eba5.JPG

Looking Mighty fine... 

Jimi,

Thanks for your kind words.  You know how it goes when you're trying something new.....two steps forward (maybe) and one backward.

The next challenge is figuring out how to come up with that support.

Best regards,

Yeah Al, its gonna be hard to find one on its own, surely that treadle was for a flat bed 45 thats why there is no support. iam sure you could rustle up a support seeing how good the missing parts came out for your machine. i cant seem to find any illustrations of these big treadles?? no parts diagrams, nothing?? maybe if someone near you had one you could copy it by taking it in to a welder and seeing what he could do?? if i find anything over this end i will let you know Al. if you need the angles or what ever i can try and measure them for you. all the best, jimi.

Thanks Jimi.  If it weren't for knowledgeable and generous people like you and others on LW, there's no way I would attempt such unfamiliar projects.

Good idea, I will have the local welder look at those excellent pictures you took of your part, he may be able to do something.

Thanks and regards

or maybe "someone" can make a mold of alginat (or the like) and then make a silicone or rubber reproduction and can send to you EVO so that you can let it sand cast (if possible and affordable) - maybe just a stupid idea....

Edited by Constabulary

Constabulary, that's not a stupid idea, but for sure a lot of work to ask of a person.  Thanks for thinking about my problem.

Anyone can sand-cast at home.  It isn't that hard to cast one from aluminum.  This is a fun weekend summer project. 

Yetibelle,

That's what I call a slick idea.  For sure I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing.

HOW FREAKIN COOL IS THAT? :huh: I was not even thinking of that as a DIY. Maybe an idea for making "blue guns" for holsters out of aluminum or brass (cartridge shells?)

Male weekend: drink dozens of beer - make fire - melt beer cans - use foundry for grilling some sausages - drink more beer - melt more beer cans - cast blue guns

What else do we need, Beer, barbecue, fire, guns :lol:

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

HOW FREAKIN COOL IS THAT? :huh: I was not even thinking of that as a DIY. Maybe an idea for making "blue guns" for holsters out of aluminum or brass (cartridge shells?)

Male weekend: drink dozens of beer - make fire - melt beer cans - use foundry for grilling some sausages - drink more beer - melt more beer cans - cast blue guns

Yeah this guys YouTube feed is great he has a lot of simple machines you can build.  Look for the one he makes an arc welder from a microwave.  Good times 

9 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Funny!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Some around here might add "sewing machine".

Check out that guys Scariac Controller YouTube....that's a show stopper......insane.

1 hour ago, Evo160K said:

Some around here might add "sewing machine".

Yeah but I heard that sewing machine folks are totally nuts :lol:

Can't speak to nuts, but they do seem to be addicted.

I went shooting last Saturday and we were sitting around talking. One of the guys said he's been looking at/researching sewing machines (because of what I've been telling him) and is slowly coming to grips with the terminology. I laughed and told him to be careful as they can become highly addictive!

My hats off and a big thank you to LW member, Jimi, for jumping in and helping a member in need.  Those of you who have followed this topic know the treadle I'm restoring is missing the support piece shown in the second photo above.  I looked online and on most every eBay site I could find around the world for weeks with no results.  I could have jury rigged something, but it didn't seem fair to the restoration of this honorable old piece.

Well Jimi was kind enough to take the support off of his treadle, make a mold from it, make a casting from the mold, securely package them and send the mold and casting to me, so I could have the support cast in metal.  After all of that time and effort, Jimi only wanted the cost of the shipping.  He said the materials are a gift.

So I want to acknowledge Jimi's kindness and consideration and post a couple of pictures of his mold and casting......his first attempt by the way.  Thank you Jimi.  Thank you very much.

IMG_4772.JPG.6bda8ea6d96a73299b42eb197decd302.JPGIMG_4773.JPG.f7401c7f8878ac004aed0ad74d99c9e0.JPG

and two more

IMG_4782.JPG.4d2c7b4e6ab62f6bd790f379d7117c00.JPGIMG_4783.JPG.b6b6f7951b9106de00efb5158b404398.JPG