Bolt Vanderhuge

Need help picking a color for the edges of a holster.

Hi all,

I would like some help from you all in choosing the edge color for this holster. One thought is to just burnish as is and let the burnishing make it a bit darker. I am not sure if this will be a good idea as the edges of the hippo piece has some lighter coloring where I have beveled it. Also, there is a little bit of ink showing from where I marked my glue lines on the inside. Yo can see both of these in the second pic.

So if I do dye the edges I can do a light/medium brown, show brown, chocolate brown or black. I have other colors too but I think colors outside the brown family will not look right. I also have saddle brown and british tan but those are so light I wonder if they would even cover the ink spot.

Here is the holster. The leather is being left natural with just Neetsfoot oil for darkening and the Hippo is actually the same chocolate brown that the background is in the pic. This pic was taken before the Hippo fully dried from being oiled. Although I suspect that the Hippo is going to look this color after I seal the holster anyways.

_DSC0984_zps5bffajlb.jpg

You can see the ink and the Hippo edge in question in this pic. The ink is on the right side of the muzzle opening.

_DSC0985_zpsviwm6txk.jpg

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/help.

Chocolate. Sorry, it's early.

All of mine get black edges.  Specifically pro oil black because it burnishes well.  

Get really wild and edge it black where the hippo is and brown on the rest.  

23 minutes ago, chiefjason said:

All of mine get black edges.  Specifically pro oil black because it burnishes well.  

Get really wild and edge it black where the hippo is and brown on the rest.  

Ive done black on brown on a few. I have issues with some bleed through on the brown.

15 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

Ive done black on brown on a few. I have issues with some bleed through on the brown.

I can see that on light brown.  Mine is dark enough that any bleed through gets either mixed in with the brown or covered over.  And I don't do a solid brown either, more mottled so that helps too.  I tried brown edges and they always seemed to lighten up, so I went with black.  But each style is going to have things to watch out for.  

You could Sunburst that thing with an airbrush whatever color is your choice but I would do it either dark brown or black