Form and fumotion are there but it leaves a lot to be desired in tooling and finish. I'll get better on the next one. 

20170319_095113.jpg

I wish my first one looked that good! I really like the background color on that holster.

11 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

I wish my first one looked that good! I really like the background color on that holster.

Thanks Alpha!!

1 hour ago, ToddMaine said:

Form and fumotion are there but it leaves a lot to be desired in tooling and finish. I'll get better on the next one. 

20170319_095113.jpg

What are you even talking about? That looks great. I would wear it if it wasn't wrong handed.

1 minute ago, bikermutt07 said:

What are you even talking about? That looks great. I would wear it if it wasn't wrong handed.

Thanks, I'm my own worst critic..lol

I'm assuming the errors must be in the small details if they exist because this picture looks very well done. :)

21 hours ago, Sceaden said:

I'm assuming the errors must be in the small details if they exist because this picture looks very well done. :)

Thanks, most of it i guess stands out to me. smudged some dye and some of the tooling, fingernail marks... Character marks i guess...lol

Not sure -- wondering if the loops aint a bit far out.  COULD be that when it breaks in a bit, the holster may be a bit "tippy" due to the narrow sides?  Maybe be okay if it's tight up against the belt?

44 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Not sure -- wondering if the loops aint a bit far out.  COULD be that when it breaks in a bit, the holster may be a bit "tippy" due to the narrow sides?  Maybe be okay if it's tight up against the belt?

I agree, they are probably going to be too far out.

We are always our own worst critic...and always will be! That looks great, from a newbie like me, and would be proud if that was the end result of my first holster!

I can only wish that my first project turns out as good...I am totally new to all things leather, I am a certified welder/CNC machinist...so I have quite a learning curve to overcome when it comes to all of this....

Hats off to you fine sir! 

On 3/24/2017 at 10:49 PM, JLSleather said:

After wearing it for a while I see what you mean. Im going to try a diffrent style here shortly.

Wow , I like the workmanship you put into it a lot.

You might be able to use a stiffer/thicker leather on the back to help with the fit. I like the molding. Not too much , not too little.

Post up the next one when you figure out what style it will be.

I was sort of thinking along the lines of JLS but different, I was thinking it was setting a little to high and would cause it to tip,  Not sure how did feel after wearing it?

Todd,

The worksmanship, fit, and finish are first rate.  You're obviously a skilled leathersmith. 

But making really functional holsters can be uniquely demanding, especially for smaller, heavier pistols.

The high-ride of the holster is very much in line with my own preference, and much the better for concealment, but I would be concerned that the wide "wings," coupled with the small amount of holster body below the belt line and the weight above the belt line  will cause the holster to sag away from the body in time.

There are a number of ways to counter this. You can make the wings shorter or wider, which will make the holster stiffer and less prone to flexing.  You also can add to the depth of the holster below the belt line, to make it less prone to twisting away from the body.

A really stiff might prevent the problems, but you can't count on clients having one.

That is one beautiful holster.

Thanks all. I have made an other one that i will post up.

Not going to critique the function, I tried to make a similair design and it did not work well for me.  It also was not nearly as beutiful.  Your craftsmanship is very good. 

Not going to critique the function, I tried to make a similair design and it did not work well for me.  It also was not nearly as beutiful.  Your craftsmanship is very good. 

Thanks!!