SoTX

SLIDES

Hey just found this forum and have been searching for info. Great forum by the way from what I have read so far. I took up braiding leather about three weeks ago and I am obsessed with making scarf slides. It started out when I decided to make a simple woggle for myself. Then a buddy saw it and wanted one, then another buddy showed me one he bought that was a herring bone weave and I was like, I have to try this. So fast forward three weeks (see picture) and this is where I am at. The leather I am using is shoelace leather basically. As you can see my two slides on the right the pineapple weave and the herring bone weaved slides look pretty rough. Lust seems like the laces are too thick for this application. I ordered the book How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear by Bruce Grant and I expect it to arrive at the end of the week. So in the mean time can you guys help me out here? what type, width, thickness of leather do you use? Or anything actually explaining "how to" make nice slides.

SLIDES.jpg

Where do you live? USA or other?

Texas!

I have no idea what those things are....

Sorry.

The OP says he makes em; they're scarf slides

SoTX; never seen any book or nuffin on making these or anything like them. Looks like you may be a leader on that. Does look like thinner leather might be the way to go tho

You could try buying some kangaroo or calf lace and use that.  Although keep in mind while it is strong, it is pretty thin. 

2 hours ago, fredk said:

The OP says he makes em; they're scarf slides

SoTX; never seen any book or nuffin on making these or anything like them. Looks like you may be a leader on that. Does look like thinner leather might be the way to go tho

So, like a scarf scarf? I thought that might be a roping term or something.

A wild rag or bandanna or neckerchief 

My bad.

20 hours ago, SoTX said:

Texas!

Okay. Lace can be ordered at Y-Knot Lace. Order the 1/8th lace. It's all kangaroo string.

Order a book by Tom Hall named Introduction to Turks Heads. It can be ordered here Introduction to Turks Heads from U-Braid it...

That should get you started.

The book you ordered is good but a long read; but a great reference book! As others stated, thinner lace works better, but in the meantime if you keep using the lace shown, skive the side edges so it lays better when braided... good job so far!

You can also find them in a book called Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant. Thinner leather works much better. I like to use 3-4 oz. or 2-3 oz for my neckerchief slides. good job so far.

My approach: first build a core of PVC, there are many sizes and weights available, then shape with colored duct tape or something similar, then cover with Kangaroo lace or rawhide, my knot of preference is a pineapple raised however many times it takes to cover the core nicely. Scarves vary in bulk depending on size and fabric. I have ~ 40 of various colors and fabrics to match each one of my shirts. I regularly use 4 different slides, 2 rawhide and 2 kangaroo. I give slides as presents since I wouldn't pay what I would have to charge if I sold them. Just my 2 cents

There are a load of tutorials on youtube, but you need to search paracord knots.  I make these for lanyards with beads (in paracord) but as you see it can be done with leather. Nice job on the leather ones!

Getting better, practice, practice, practice......did this one in roo hide

A01SLIDE.jpg

!/16" rawhide 12 bight with gaucho interweave. Getting better at this. Practice, practice, practice.

rawhide1.jpg

rawhide2.jpg