torrbuidhe

Broken Singer 31K32

It seems the art of true bodgery repairs has been lost to the fine engineering of modern times. Such a shame. I guess that is part of growing up in outcast America, ya learn to make repairs and fix things with whats on hand regardless of what a PHD would otherwise say. 

Hopefully your return process works out for the OP. 

yeah, know what ya mean. I aint got nuffin I can do bodgery repairs on anymore

Looks like the Rannoch Moor without some of the bumpy bits to me.  :-).    

I would progress the case through ebay, and if you paid through Paypal, phone them, and have a chat.   I've always found them extremely helpfull, and more than happy advise.

For what it's worth. If you are going the epoxy route. I would reinforce the piece with a bracket. Epoxy the broken piece and epoxy the bracket. Secure the bracket with two bolts if you have the space to tap threads.

Hope you find a satisfying solution for your machine.

Sandy.

(Hope my masterpiece of a drawing makes sense)

Screenshot_2017-04-02-09-07-41.png

On 4/1/2017 at 4:56 AM, mikesc said:

"bronze roads" ..bronze rods..or New England accent ;) ?
Problem with that advice is that bronze is a metal alloy..or to be more accurate which bronze you have determines what is in the alloy and what the percentages of each metal are in relation to the whole ( and how much carbon, there will be some. there is in your bronze etc )..There is no bronze in the periodic table of elements, and no set formula for what is meant by "bronze"..bronze is about as accurate a term as "cheese"..Problem when you don't know what is in it and in what proportions is that you then don(t know at what temp it will begin to melt, what temp it will begin solidifying, what the flow will be like, what ( and how ) it will combine with, how strong will be the resulting alloys ( secondary and tertiary alloys ) at the joining faces of the weld, what will be the penetration characteristics etc etc.

aside..Working with bronze in any form is "interesting", and bronze casting is an art..repairing bronze castings is far harder than repairing cast iron..although cast iron is also a bit of a vague term, cast iron is also full of non iron impurities and other elemental improvements..metallurgy is a whole set of degrees and studies and disciplines in itself.

You can do trial and error to find out how any given welding rods will work on any given welding job of course, but in the OPs case that would mean deliberately breaking off other parts just to see how they welded back together.

Nice part of the work Neil..( and superb photo ) but not surprised to hear that the machine arrived broken if it was delivered by mountain bike over that sort of terrain

I like cheese. Melted cheese to be precise. Bronze is easy to weld with a tig. I used to work in a foundry for a while and making a big sculpture is done in pieces and welded together. Also, imperfections in casts are filled by welding and than chased the welds. You can't even tell the difference. Unless, you switch the arms around on a sculpture. One guy at the foundry welded the the left arm were the right should be on life size sculpture. It tool the sculptor while to realize :-) 

if you really want to fix it do this. 

Time for fondue 

IMG_0162.JPG

Cool fabrication! I like cheese and fondue too, but not a welder myself. I am very envious!

Anyhow, impressive work & thank you for sharing!

Last Monday the seller messaged me that they had reported the breakage to the courier. I haven't heard from them since, but this Monday it reaches the stage where I can refer the problem to ebay.

A little distraction today when I went down Dingwall way and bought a Seiko LSW 8BL for £200. It's in good condition, just needs cleaned, oiled and a little adjustment.

On 02/04/2017 at 7:20 AM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Looks like the Rannoch Moor without some of the bumpy bits to me.  :-).    

Rannoch Moor's a wee bog doon sooth, is it no?

Neil

I would refer it to ebay pronto like - its easier to close a case, impossible to do anything past the deadline

Is the seiko one of the older boys, I always fondly think of them as sort of bullet/spaceship shaped.    Even there, did well at £200.

So, THAT boggy bit:).

I was going to refer the 31k to ebay when I got home today, but I found the seller had referred it already. I'll hear from ebay in 48 hours.

The Seiko looks a lot like a Singer 211, I like that "Jet Age" styling myself. It's white, and the "Seiko" badge on the arm is a sticker not a plate so I think it's not that old. I see on the Braithwaite website this model is still being made. The seller used it for making boat covers and suchlike, but had to retire due to poor health. He was pleased to see it going to go to a good home. The only shortcoming with this model seems to be the max stitch length is only 6.2mm, but for the price and only 100 miles way it was too good to miss.

Neil

Congrats on the Seiko!