Lee Jr

bleeding saddle stringd

I've always done it "up".  When I see it the other way I always think it looks backwards although in your example it doesn't look as bad as most I see. 

If you cut your strings from the flesh side with a string bleeder, I think I get them tighter with the "up" version

I had to think about this.  Traditionally, up was the custom.  But why?  Conclusion, most people are right handed.  You cut your slit using your right hand through the upper string.  Then push the string through the slit and the weight of your right hand help keeps the strings tight as you cut the second slit through the next string.  I can see if you are left handed, the strings would be cut in the opposite order (thus the down).

My guess.

Thanx guys, I cut up also but seen it cut down awhile back and was wondering if I were was a right or wrong or stronger way.

Interesting to read the replies and hear the "guesses."  The proper way to bleed strings is to cut from the bottom up, as shown in your pic labeled "UP".  This allows the strings to lay down smoothly and is more attractive.