jollins

I NEED ADVICE ON THIS ADLER SEWING MACHINE

Good day,please this is my first time starting a topic so pardon me if i didn't  I do it right. 

I need professional advice on this Adler machine,  model code plate i think fell off so i don't have any idea about the model however, it carries a big roller and big hook. A friend brought it for me to buy.

Here is the help i need,is this machine capable of sewing through thick surface? Will it be a good deal if a go for it? What size of needles can it carry?

Any advice as to the quality and functionality of this machine will be highly appreciated.

Thanks 

IMG-20170324-WA0001.jpg

Looks like some submodel of Adler 67. Uses a 134R needle. Usually can manage up to 8mm of leather, but that is maximum, I wouldn't recommend any more than 6mm regularly. Maximum size thread would be TKT20/V138 with a 140 needle, though you may be able to use a TKT13/V207 through a 160 needle with TKT20 in the bobbin. Parts and accessories are about as readily available as industrial machine parts come.

As to whether it's a good deal, it depends on your situation (including local availability of parts and consumables), your needs, and the price.

@ Matt S, i really want to say thank you. From what you have said ,it is a good buy if it's in good working condition right?

Edited by jollins

The Adler 167/67 model brochure leaflets (Leaflets_Adler_Class_67_part2.pdf ) show this machine on pages 15/16. There are seven different sub-classes that belong to this group with slight variations in technical details. The big hook makes it one of the "167" models. The Adlers are generally very nice machines.

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 12.15.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 12.16.49 AM.png

Edited by Uwe

If it has the walking foot drive is what i don't know for now,i was only sent the picture i uploaded.Mr Uwe thanks for your contribution.

Is there a model tag, on the back of the arm of the machine?  This would provide a model number, and in turn, what model this is.  There are MANY 67 subclass machines, and some are very different. 

The machine in the picture looks a little beat up, if it was a similar machine in a Singer,  it would not be an issue.  The Adler machines can be tricky to work on and the parts are harder to find and more expensive.  If it was really clean and in good working order, they are awesome.  However when you say "really thick material"  this is machine is more a medium weight machine.

since it has a roller foot is most likely is a needle feed machine or just drop feed. Tricky thing on old Adlers often is the timing belt - if it is made of brown material and the material already shows cracks I would not buy it. Replacing a timing belt on an old Adler is a real pain. Did that once for a friend - don´t want to do it again.