My first attempt at a Portrait.

I actually expected to botch it but it turned out not half bad.

I tried to Imitate the fantastic three-dimensional effect that achieved Immiketoo in his recent portraits: Basically it's two layers of leather with the outline of the face in between. I also added a nose-shaped piece and cut holes into the sandwiched face for eye sockets and mouth but, of course, the effect is far from what Mike did to Popeye's bulging eye. I also regret that I didn't pay more attention to the rope.

tucoauflederklein.jpg

Pretty awesome job. Is this Eli Wallach from the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Tank you Bikermutt and, yes, it's meant to represent "The Ugly"/Eli Wallach.

Thanks, I didn't know his name from the movie.

My favorite movie. I own it on DVD. That's looks pretty cool.

Edited by Mattsbagger

For a first, that is excellent....I actually thought it was a reverse of your avatar! We are our own worst critic, able to pick apart every minor flaw...reason being...we just spent countless hours over the project until completion. I think it looks great and from a novice like myself, I am in no position to 'critique' your work. Standing as a 'third-party' I see it as intricately detailed....

Point being...I am a welder...although not by trade, and every weld bead I lay down is my signature...I am able to pick out every flaw that may be present because I just spent countless hours prepping, grinding, and welding. To the 'layperson' they see it as a job well done....something that they have come to YOU to get finished or to purchase. We all are learning, even if we are considered a pro at what we do.

I, myself, would be glad to own something like this if this is something that I like....why....because it is very nicely done! Be proud of what you have accomplished and if you happen to notice a flaw...learn from it!

V/r

Chayse 

Wow man that is awesome! totally blows me away, even more so since I just finished watching that movie again

Thank you for the kind words, Gentlemen!

Sure! “The Good, The Bad And The Ugly” is also my favorite movie! And Tuco’s part is the most interesting while Clint Eastwood is required to keep a straight face.

I admire the guys who do clean and precise work, whereas mine sometimes looks as if “pulled out of the cow’s ass” (as we say in German). But in this particular case my way of working seems adequate to the subject.

And, yes, we are our worst critics. Looking at rope and neck I could kick myself … on the other hand … I might present a less censorious friend with Tuco’s portrait, although I’d aimed low and intended the project as mere practice.

Hey. I learned some German today!

Some more German for you, Kiwican:

"Wer schießen will, soll schießen und nicht quatschen!"

This is fantastic Rudi!  Doing any human portrait is hard because we're all very familiar with what a persons features should look like and anything out of proportion looks off.  Your looks great!

Bob

Thank you Bob!

In my experience the eyes are the most difficult feature in a portrait. But since I just copied a photo, the eyes didn't offer resistance.

Next - and more difficult, I guess - will be a female portrait.