saltysailor

Which machine

Ok folks, couple of questions. I have been researching and reading about a ton of machines (new and used) but am having a hard time deciding what to do  

I'm looking for a sewing machine to sew wallet liners together. I'm using some 3oz cow as the liner and then some really thin pig for the cc pockets. Total thickness is approximately 4oz. 

I really dont don't want to hand sew each pocket (8/liner) and then the pockets to the liner itself, but I'm ok with hand sewing that to the wallet itself.

If I can find one that will do both and it is reasonably priced, then I'll jump on it, but I am more concerned with getting a machine that can do the inner. 

Hope that makes sense to everyone and thank you in advance. 

Geoff in Colorado

I'm looking for "reasonably" priced, not that I know what reasonably priced means, but don't have a specific number to give you.

Maybe this will work...

best machine under $500

best machine $500-$750

best machine $750-$1000

best machine $1000-$1500

best machine $1500-$2000

best machine $2000-$2500

best machine over $2500

Could be new or used

I'm not sure if there are too many options for prices above, but I've seen options at each of these price ranges and I'm really looking for some help to figure out what machine is best for what I'm looking for it to do...even if that means it does everything that I want it to do and it costs $2500 or that there is a better option for what I need it to do for $750. 

Well what your sewing isn't that thick.  Just like cars and trucks there are plenty to pick from, but sometimes a car can still be used as a truck even though that's not what is for.

There are plenty of machines both new and used that can get the job done.  What will be the right machine for you is based on how you want to work.  Some of the new machines come with great features for repetitive work.  You can "program" the work; sew 10 inches - stop - back stich -cut thread, next piece.  Some machines come with reverse and (most old machines don't).  Plus you have flat-bed, cylinder arm, post bed machines. 

Right now personally I like the new Techsew 3850, it looks like a great all around machine for a good price, (as far as new machines go).  That may be to much machine for your projects?

Anyway a guy once told me if I have to get one machine go with the post-bed, they can do almost everything.  (I still don't have one).  HAHA. 

http://www.techsew.com/machinery/industrial-sewing-machines/post-machines/techsew-810-post-bed-roller-foot-industrial-sewing-machine.html

As far as old and used machines, ask yourself if you want to be in the sewing machine repair business?  They are great fun to work on and restore but there is a learning curve that may be frustrating, just like working on old cars.

You will also notice that most of us have more than one machine.  This is because we are all crazy and obsessed, so don't worry to much about that. 

When you say too much machine for my projects, do you mean I won't be able to easily see what I'm looking to sew because I will have to adjust or do you mean that if allim using it for is liners that I'll be wasting money on a machine that can do so much more?

I think Yetibelle was referring to having a machine with potential to do much more that what you are currently using it for...in this case, your wallets. I will throw my $.02 in here, understandably you are sewing wallets now and are looking for a capable machine. If you buy a machine that will sew your wallets and maybe not much more (thicker leather), and you then decide to take on another project that requires you to sew that thicker leather, you are now not able to take on the project due to the limitations of your current machine.

I am sure others will lend you their expert advice when it comes to all of the different machines and their capabilities. I personally have two...one for light to medium weight leather and one for the thicker, heavier weight leather. I digress....

Good luck and am sure someone here will help clear things up for you!

Chayse

Well I was thinking that the needle and thread that Techsew 3850 machines takes may be bigger than you want to use or need.  I'm sure it would work, but it may not be the look you want.

This is the Cowboy CB-4500, it will sew heavy leather, but I bet it would also sew lighter leather, it just makes bigger holes.

You can go down to a 110/18 needle on a 441 clone.  It makes the same size hole as a smaller machine.

Salty, people ask this sort of question all the time and unfortunately there's never a simple answer as it can be a complex subject. If all you ever want to do is work with the thickness you state then a machine in the Singer 111/211 class will work fine. This can include the Seiko STH-8BLD series, Consew 206 etc. These are flat beds, but if you will only have one machine a cylinder arm might be more versatile, something in the Pfaff 335/equivalent size. Thread size will be a determining factor, the thicker the thread you want to use the heavier duty the machine will need to be. The machines I mentioned will handle #69 thread and with a bit of tweaking should also work with #138 - but no thicker.

As has been mentioned, are you prepared/interested in maintaining your machine? If not do not buy used, as there is quite a learning curve in coming to grips with the mechanics of industrial sewing machines. You will be better off buying new so you have support if needed.

Edited by dikman

You want to make wallets and I do plenty.Check my web site if it helps. I have a Adler post and for this job not much good as it will not allow a tight bend as you find in the middle of the wallet. For linings OK but a flat bed is way better for that purpose. A flat bed is not very good for getting any tight curves either.I have a 441 cowboy and the size of the cylinder let alone the unavailability of leather point needles below 160 makes it a poor choice for wallet work. As a single machine with good all-round capabilities I would make it a Pfaff 335 or one of its clones. If you can find one (nearly impossible) get a Pfaff 331 33/1b. It is not a walking foot but is a needle and dog feed that allows intricate through to fairly heavy work. We have just finished a run of tote bags that use this size of machine mostly and if you look at a couple of these pics you can see the heavy but intricate nature of work that is possible.Note: the stitching around the top edge would not be possible on a flat bed or post machine.

DSC07550_resize.JPG

DSC07576_resize.JPG

DSC07567_resize.JPG

What RockyAussie said.  

As a Cowboy dealer, I can tell you that the CB-4500 is NOT the kind of machine you need.  NONE of the 441 clones are going to do what you need.  You need something with a very small foot and a very small needle to end-of-arm distance to make the small edge margin stitches.  

And ideal machine for this would be a Post-Bed machine with a Power Roller Foot.  I think Bernina makes something like that. 

3 hours ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

What RockyAussie said.  

As a Cowboy dealer, I can tell you that the CB-4500 is NOT the kind of machine you need.  NONE of the 441 clones are going to do what you need.  You need something with a very small foot and a very small needle to end-of-arm distance to make the small edge margin stitches.  

And ideal machine for this would be a Post-Bed machine with a Power Roller Foot.  I think Bernina makes something like that. 

Unless your making wallets like this! 

largewallet1.jpg.070d0130c63fefa3aafe0c943bf5d963.jpg