This is a video of me doing the finish coat edging by hand on a large run of hornback belts.For a few years this is how all edging on my belts was done including the first coats and all. Although I have built an edging machine that does both sides at the same time, I find that the up and down edge on hornback is better finished by hand as shown.The pictures below shows one of the two racks I made for this purpose. I intend to do a couple more videos using the edging machines and other steps over the next few weeks. Follow me if you want notification updates. Regards Brian

DSC07571_resize.JPG

DSC07572_resize.JPG

Thanks for sharing with us Brian. Looks like a real practical design that solves a problem lots of us have encountered. Keen to see your DIY edge finishing machine!

43 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Thanks for sharing with us Brian. Looks like a real practical design that solves a problem lots of us have encountered. Keen to see your DIY edge finishing machine!

Here  is a couple of pics of it for now. At the time there did not seem to be any machine specific for the job, about 20 years ago I'd guess.The tongue tips I do separately on a single edge machine.

DSC08006_resize.JPG

DSC08008_resize.JPG

Thanks for sharing, Brian. 

Thanks for the encouragement.

It's nice as a hobbyist to get a peek into the production setting. It gave me some thoughts on repition even for a smaller scale.

On 20/04/2017 at 8:25 PM, bikermutt07 said:

It's nice as a hobbyist to get a peek into the production setting. It gave me some thoughts on repition even for a smaller scale.

Although the racks come in handy for repetitive work the application technique with the edging method I think should be useful on one off projects as well. I hate seeing people playing around with pencils and little brushes and such when I know a good finish must be applied quickly and evenly. If I do a single key tag it's pretty much the same technique. Regards Brian