panchoskywalker

How to properly stitch a zipper?

I was building an inside pocket for a bag and as soon as I finished the stitching the zipper start failing. I am pretty sure that the fail comes from the way I stitch the zipper so...Is there a secret to stitch a zipper? ...Or what could I use instead of a zipper for an inside pocket, as zipper is going to fail sooner or later anyway.

Will post picture tomorrow.

How is the zipper failing and what method did you use that makes you think it is your fault. If your putting on the zip slide yourself I recommend always checking the slide functions well before stitching in. If you do that already then the only other thing I can think of is if your foot is dragging on top of the zip when your stitching. If that is the case then you need to get a foot that stops that from happening. If you don't want to use a zip you could perhaps put some clip down straps across or an overlap flap depending on the pocket style.

The zipper does not close anymore. I think it might be related to my stitching because I tried it several times before stitching and it was working fine until I finished the stitch, if you look at the pictures there is some ondulation on the leather maybe I pull the thread too much while stitching.

1zggnzn.jpg

On the other side I was thinking that when the zipper start failing the bag will have to be dismantled almost completely just to replace the zipper, that's why I was asking about zipper substitute.

Here's the bag I am making:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232040159847?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Never had this happen, but I doubt the stitching played a huge role in the failure.  I made a purse for my teenage daughter and the zipper held up two years.  That is daily use and not-so-gentle tugging.  

You can use velcro as a closure, flaps and snaps, Sam Browne studs or even magnetic closures.  Lots of options.

The zipper does not close anymore. I think it might be related to my stitching because I tried it several times before stitching and it was working fine until I finished the stitch, if you look at the pictures there is some ondulation on the leather maybe I pull the thread too much while stitching.

1zggnzn.jpg

On the other side I was thinking that when the zipper start failing the bag will have to be dismantled almost completely just to replace the zipper, that's why I was asking about zipper substitute.

Here's the bag I am making:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232040159847?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ok. What is failing here is most likely the slide. The slide on zips have a lot to do with how they work. If a heavy machine were to press its foot down on one side of the slide it can tilt the angle of the slide which only has a bar in the middle.Any hammering down on the slide edge could do it. Once this happens one side is tight but the other becomes loose and will no longer feed the zip together properly. In the past when doing zipper repairs often all that is necessary is to carefully squeeze the pull down a little on both sides at the back smaller end. The slide must be right back at the start first before squeezing.When zips get worn a lot and start coming apart a little squeeze will generally do the job.I use a small set of blunt nail pullers that allow you to reach over the pull and press at the back. This is not at all common and I think just a bit of bad luck, the chances of it happening again would be very unlikely. 

Ok. What is failing here is most likely the slide. The slide on zips have a lot to do with how they work. If a heavy machine were to press its foot down on one side of the slide it can tilt the angle of the slide which only has a bar in the middle.Any hammering down on the slide edge could do it. Once this happens one side is tight but the other becomes loose and will no longer feed the zip together properly. In the past when doing zipper repairs often all that is necessary is to carefully squeeze the pull down a little on both sides at the back smaller end. The slide must be right back at the start first before squeezing.When zips get worn a lot and start coming apart a little squeeze will generally do the job.I use a small set of blunt nail pullers that allow you to reach over the pull and press at the back. This is not at all common and I think just a bit of bad luck, the chances of it happening again would be very unlikely. 

Thanks a lot for your help, I followed your suggestion and was able to fix it.

Now, is there a smart way to build a bag so that when the time comes to replace the zipper the bag does not have to be dismantled completely? This is my first attempt to build a bag and according to model I am making I see that it will just be like that. What happens if I sell the bag and the zipper failed 2 months later or even 1 year later, how to deal with that situation?

another thing that can help is put a little 3 in 1 oil on the teeth to help it slide better. it don't matter how you build anything with a zipper it will have to be taken apart.

Thanks a lot for your help, I followed your suggestion and was able to fix it.

Now, is there a smart way to build a bag so that when the time comes to replace the zipper the bag does not have to be dismantled completely? This is my first attempt to build a bag and according to model I am making I see that it will just be like that. What happens if I sell the bag and the zipper failed 2 months later or even 1 year later, how to deal with that situation?

I am glad you got the problem fixed. As for the zipper being able to be replaced at a later date easily I guess you could design it that way if you want. Perhaps 2 or 3 clips to hold a pocket of sorts but Of course then the clips would fail. I have to say that I don't hardly ever get returns for my own zips but some of my customers have the hide to send me other manufactures bag and purse zips to replace. I charge good for those. I do as my conscience tells me after inspecting the return and being fair as to how they have treated the product. Normally I would not get one back for a couple of years at least. Normally they are happy to pay a fair part of the cost when they do. Regards Brian 

Oh!! I just remembered, I think you can get from Ohio travel goods a clip open style pull that fits some zips like the YKK and maybe some others. As I said the pulls are often the culprit. If you have trouble finding it let me know and I will search through my endless bookmarks.