splitrail

Soft Veg Tanned?

Can anyone tell me if a softer hand, more pliable veg tanned leather is available for dying?  What would I look for?  I want to be able to airbrush and would like a little grain to it.  

Anything that is categorized as milled is very soft and pliable.  Carves, stamp and dyes just like normal veg tanned.

Contact the local Tandy.  They were going to discontinue their "royal meadow" tooling leather, but some of the stores still have it.  Very clean, nice consistent thickness, light color is great for dyeing a range of colors, and it's more flexible than Hermann Oak but still carves very nicely.

You didn't say what weight, but royal meadow used to be available in 3/4, 4/5, and 5/6 oz

Yes, there is.

It's called 'milled'

have a look at Spriengfield leather company, there were some in different weights..

Tandy is running a sale on milled single shoulders, 3-4oz. and 5-6 oz.

16 minutes ago, JD62 said:

Tandy is running a sale on milled single shoulders, 3-4oz. and 5-6 oz.

I have bought a few of these in the 5-6 oz.  Aside from a furry back, they are quite nice to work with.

Thank you all so much for the information.  I've been away doing a handmade show, and didn't get the chance until right now to thank everyone.  I will be heading to the local Tandy tomorrow morning!  

Thanks for the photo, MarcinB.    Nice work!!!!  :)

Julie