This may have already been asked and if so I apologize in advance. 

I was at my local Tandy shop and was talking to the salesman about dyes. I have read that Fiebings was a great dye to use, but the salesman said it was great if you want dried out cracked leather when your done. 

Is this a common occurrence or is it just his way of selling Tandy products. 

If it is a concern then what can you do to prevent it. 

Thanks

Dave Gill the new guy

I've not had any trouble with Fiebings or Tandy dyes. Just follow directions on the bottles, and both brands will work well. Read some old posts in the dyeing forum and you can get some other views and tips. 

Is this the Fiebings professional dye you were looking at.  

I only use the professional range, so can't comment on any other type, but I have never had problems of leather drying out.   In fact, I love it, even though I have to run a expelair to get rid of the fumes.   :crazy:

Regardless of which Fiebing's dye you use it will not leave your leather dry or cracking if you use it properly and also condition as you should.  This is another tactic that the Tandy mindset is using to try and push newcomers to this trade away from quality products and to suck them into their Eco-Flo world.  Anyone who frequents a Tandy store can tell that Fiebing's isn't in their store because THEY want it there (shelf inventory is basic and minimal at best), it is there because the Eco-Flo is a much less attractive and reliable product and WE want Fiebing's.

21 minutes ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

Regardless of which Fiebing's dye you use it will not leave your leather dry or cracking if you use it properly and also condition as you should.  This is another tactic that the Tandy mindset is using to try and push newcomers to this trade away from quality products and to suck them into their Eco-Flo world.  Anyone who frequents a Tandy store can tell that Fiebing's isn't in their store because THEY want it there (shelf inventory is basic and minimal at best), it is there because the Eco-Flo is a much less attractive and reliable product and WE want Fiebing's.

Hear Hear!!! Notice it's always near the back?

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Hear Hear!!! Notice it's always near the back?

that depends on the store. At the store closest to me, it's right next to the eco flow dyes at the FRONT of the store and the manager gives me just as good a deal on the fiebings stuff as I get on the tandy products. They also don't push the tandy stuff, they will give an honest pros and cons of both brands to people when they come in

13 minutes ago, Halitech said:

that depends on the store. At the store closest to me, it's right next to the eco flow dyes at the FRONT of the store and the manager gives me just as good a deal on the fiebings stuff as I get on the tandy products. They also don't push the tandy stuff, they will give an honest pros and cons of both brands to people when they come in

And this is a rare thing indeed.  Sounds like the people you deal with in your store actually work with leather a little; typically not the case anymore though.  I don't even get my Fiebing's from Tandy, I have a wholesale account with Fiebing's and order direct which also allows me to sell to private individuals as long as I follow their pricing guidelines.  Makes it worth my time and even Tandy can't match their lowest price.

they do and the manager actually encourages them to work with and use the equipment and finishes during work hours. Most days I go in and someone is working on tooling something or dying or building. Far as I'm concerned, you can't know the product if you don't use it and the manager here feels the same way.

And I know it's fashionable to bash on Tandy but honestly, I've not had the issues up here that most have and maybe it's a Canadian thing

Not everyone has the advantage of being able to get business or wholesale accounts with the big guys though.

I won't say Tandy doesn't have a place.

When I was grief stricken over the loss of our little boy, their brick and mortar location was there to help me get started in leather.

That got my hands moving again.

I will always be thankful to them for that.

But nowadays I get my fiebings from the saddle repair shop. He has lots of colors in stock.

And to be totally honest, I haven't tried any of the Eco flo products. I started with pro dyes and haven't needed a change yet. It's not like they are too expensive. Even at Tandy prices, dye is affordable.

Edited by bikermutt07

Thank you for the responses. I went with the salesman's advice and I haven't been happy. Was going to change to the Fiebings on my next trip in. I want to produce quality projects and use quality products to do them. Thanks again for your responses. 

21 hours ago, Halitech said:

they do and the manager actually encourages them to work with and use the equipment and finishes during work hours. Most days I go in and someone is working on tooling something or dying or building. Far as I'm concerned, you can't know the product if you don't use it and the manager here feels the same way.

And I know it's fashionable to bash on Tandy but honestly, I've not had the issues up here that most have and maybe it's a Canadian thing

Not everyone has the advantage of being able to get business or wholesale accounts with the big guys though.

It may actually be a Canada thing because I have been told by the manager of the store in my area that "you don't need to know how to work with the products, you just need to know how to sell them" and he told me that is the way they are trained. 

Regarding the wholesale programs, I just contact each potential supplier and ask them if they have such a program and what the pricing and requirements are.  If they have one then I get everything they have to offer (documentation wise) and start working up my orders so that I can keep myself supplied and have some extra to sell to those who are looking for more of a selection.

I almost exclusively use Fiebings Pro dye. After dyeing I rehydrate the leather with a very light application Lexol leather conditioner to the flesh side. 

Edited by Bonecross

you need to condition the leather. You need to condition ANY leather, eventually. 

I cant imagine they get a commission on selling Tandy branded products but maybe. I think you just got a bad salesman. I almost immediately wince whenever any salesperson of any good or service starts his speech with negativity about something else.

Having said all that .. most products have their place and use for me. I have done more than a thousand projects with Fiebings over the course of 26 years and never had a problem. I have literally used GALLONS upon gallons of it. I think it was and probably still is the go to dye for many once they graduated from the little bottles of solvent dye tandy used to sell. I have been using more Angelus because I like the brightness of some of their colors over the fiebings and I love ecoflo for painterly things I may do on leather such as flowers or vines. I like the way it blends and most things I am going to do painterly designs on aren't destined for real hard use.

So his admonishment about fiebings is unfounded and you should feel comfortable with using it.