Ok a little bored so figured what the hell give these two things a try, The one with the cog on it is a small belt bag steampunk kind of thing mostly for cosplay as it is small lol. Second is for a trading card deck holder such as magic the gathering should hold 60 sleeved cards if the dimentions are right. The box is kind of like a flip box, the bottom was a bitch to set the rivets really need to find a block of wood that is the same shape so I can pound on it, ende dup using several garden stakes to set the rives on the bottom, not a perfect solution but it did work!

beltbag.jpg

Deck holder.jpg

Deck holder side.jpg

Nice. I've been trying to make a card holder well for a whole now.

3 hours ago, kiwican said:

Nice. I've been trying to make a card holder well for a whole now.

The bottom is a bit of a bitch to get riveted in you really need something hard and long enough that you can put in the card holder, making another one today but this one I am going to hand stitch and add a buckle instead of the swing arm clasp to see which works a little easier for me

can you throw out some dimensions of the box!

looks good except the rivets not matching the clasps but I have the same issue finding matching rivets.

Kiwi you still haven't made that card case?

lol ive made a few Hali, but I'm just not real happy with them

not sure what to do with you kiwi lol

2 hours ago, Halitech said:

not sure what to do with you kiwi lol

Tis a good question tho!

5 hours ago, kiwican said:

can you throw out some dimensions of the box!

The box is a tuck box with a small modiffaction of extending the lid out to where I liked it box is 2.64 inches x 3.66 inches x 2 inches.

4 hours ago, Halitech said:

looks good except the rivets not matching the clasps but I have the same issue finding matching rivets.

Kiwi you still haven't made that card case?

I agree 100% with you but the good thing is that is just a prototype to see if I could do it, to be honest as I said getting those damned bottom rivets set was a real bitch, making a second one now (after I hunt down a good templete for a belt strap!) but this one will be hand stitched with a strap and 3/4 inch buckle for a closure instead of the swing arm clasp just to see A: which is easier to do B: which style closure I like.

just to throw another idea in the mix, what about a closure with a button stud or snap?

whippingpost-messenger-5.jpg

5 hours ago, Halitech said:

just to throw another idea in the mix, what about a closure with a button stud or snap?

whippingpost-messenger-5.jpg

The sam brown button would be a good idea, will have to try that my next box, the snap idea wouldn't work you could end up damaging the cards pushing on the snap it get it to close. Oh and handstitching is NOT practicle for this small of a box real bitch to do so will have to rethink the design or continue to use rivets which rivets are not hard to set once you have a block of wood or stone you can use to slide inside the box!

Hand stitching is possible; pre-punch stitching holes on the edge of the piece which is on the outside - contact glue this overlapped part to the other [to hold in place] - use an awl to pierce the inner part, going thru the pre-punched stitching holes, sew it up. If the base is really hard to get into use a curved needle, from the outside.

I've sewn up repair patches on the sides of repro-medieval shoes doing it that way

IMHO the latch looks too big and heavy for the smaller bag. The Sam Browne fitting is a good idea, or a very light weight strap & buckle

Seach out chinese and malaysian sellers of leather goods on Ebay; you can find them selling ready-rivets in all sorts of sizes, styles and colours and they are usually very cheap

Using Freds directions (before he posted them) is the way I did this case. Needle nose pliers came in really handy for the bottom and about half of the sides until I could get my fingers on the needle properly. I have the plans done up for another that I'm going to do a strap and latch type of closure.

20170511_121213a.jpg

20170511_121229a.jpg

10 hours ago, fredk said:

Hand stitching is possible; pre-punch stitching holes on the edge of the piece which is on the outside - contact glue this overlapped part to the other [to hold in place] - use an awl to pierce the inner part, going thru the pre-punched stitching holes, sew it up. If the base is really hard to get into use a curved needle, from the outside.

I've sewn up repair patches on the sides of repro-medieval shoes doing it that way

IMHO the latch looks too big and heavy for the smaller bag. The Sam Browne fitting is a good idea, or a very light weight strap & buckle

Seach out chinese and malaysian sellers of leather goods on Ebay; you can find them selling ready-rivets in all sorts of sizes, styles and colours and they are usually very cheap

I just have problems with my hands even using needle nose pliers mostly just hitting the hole back though and all the holes were already prepunched with a pricking iron, not that hard to figure out where you want the holes to go just a real pain for my hands to try to stitch it. Though did not think about using the curved needle may have to get one and try that though the curve is not small enough come to think of it as I do prefer to use smaller stitches as well as the saddle stitch method so I know its locked in place. Going to try a third prototype later today as I think I have a sam brown button laying around here some where!!

card holder 2.jpg

looks good, I'm a fan of the buckle.  I just made one up using the SB stud. I post a pic when its all dry and cleaned up