I recently bought a used Consew 225 sewing machine from a local who no longer used it. I'd been hand sewing everything and I know nothing about sewing machines. So my question is what kind of oil should I use? And how's the best way to clean one of these? It's been sitting in a dusty barn for a few years. Thanks for any help 

Use light machine oil or mineral oil, it is all the same stuff. 3 in 1 oil is as good as any.

Gump,

I think you are going to get some flack on that statement. These oils are not the same and 3 in 1 oil will gum up a sewing machine

even if you have been lucky enough to use it with no problems you know of.

Ferg

Walmart or your local jo-anns sewing has small bottles of oil for now. Until you decide to online buy a qt. or a gallon possibly. 

Youll be surprised how long these little bottles last. Besides inital lubrication of 15 times on each bushing you will still have some left. But do recommend getting a couple bottles. Sometimes a bit more can be used around the hook and if it has oil storage in the saddle area. 

On another note sew machine oil doesnt have  such a staining effect as i hear the pros mention. 

Have a good day with the new machine

Floyd

Use clear Lily Oil that is made for sewing machines. It has a low viscosity and will not gum up or cause rust on the bearings and crankshafts, nor will it stain most cloth if it drips onto it as you sew.

The only time I use 3 in 1 oil on a sewing machine is to free it up if it is binding, during a repair job. Once the machine turns freely, I flush out the 3 in 1 with Liliy Oil

Download the manual and read it - lots of times! Try and clean out as much dust and dirt as possible, using a stiff brush and rags, before oiling it. If you can't get the Lily Oil then hydraulic oil (ISO 34) is pretty much the same thing. Make sure it turns over ok by hand, if it doesn't find out why (don't force it). Finally, if it's got a clutch motor be warned, they are scary things for a first-timer and hard to control for leather work.

225.pdf Manual.