I'm finishing up a bag for my wife. I just have to do the straps. I learned a lot on this bag. It isn't perfect and is a bit rough in places but I'm still happy with it. Critiques welcome. And a special thanks to rocky Aussie for his inspiration and previous help and ideas. 

It's my first bag and first bound edge as well. The edge could use improvement but still looks ok. I need help with lining the bag still. I think the garment leather was still a bit too thick. I did a pocket with zipper, that's another first for me. The blue on the bottom inside are strap ends for later when I finish it, I just set them in there so I wouldn't lose them haha. I'll update with the final project. 

Thanks for looking.

20170524_124211-1478x2208.jpg

20170524_124136-1478x2236.jpg

20170524_124057-1478x865.jpg

I think you did a great job, especially for your first attempt!  One think you may want to do on your next bag is to roll the edge under on the inside of the bag.  I think this will lessen the puckering on the inside from the stitches by making the edge a bit stiffer.

the bag looks great :) i'm sure she'll appreciate it.

some tips i have would be

1.) to reinforce the strip on the sides that holds the metal rings towards the strap. That part always breaks first on any bag.

2.) on the opening of the bag - to fold in the edges before stitching so it wouldn't bulge. hmmmm and maybe to widen a bit the closure or maybe a zipper

Thanks @garypl. I'll have to try that. 

Thanks @AdamGadut. The ring strap is both stitched and riveted. The bag calls for a zip closure but I couldn't figure out from the instructions and pattern how to do it. It also had the magnet closure so I just used that instead. I'll definitely do improvements on the next one. The leather for the liner is really soft cowhide but is still a bit thick. I would usually skive the binding down but it's too soft for me to do that so it bulges a bit. I'd like to try kangaroo or even fabric on the next one. 

Thanks for the input. 

some good linings i know would be pigs hide - some are fairly thin so you wont need to skive. - i believe saddleback leather uses pigs hide on their linings. if not, then maybe goats hide - these are still thin, but some are a little stiff.

if you go for fabric, some canvas looks good too :)

Ugh that's so obvious haha. Why didn't I think of that! I'll have to find some and retry the bag. I'm certain it would come out better. 

Here it is with the strap. Thanks for looking and for the ideas. 

20170527_191317-1612x1209.jpg

20170527_191459-1209x1612.jpg

20170527_191300-1209x1612.jpg

It's a great looking bag.

My only critique is it is only a third of the size for what my wife needs in a purse.

Haha, it did turn out a bit smaller than I thought. But I also didn't want to make a huge bag for my first one.