Made another one this time longer and scout carry. This one is a retirement gift that come with a shinny nickle.( not pictured )20170601_220811_resized.jpg.f5fdfcce9331da3cdcd04d20afee51a7.jpg20170601_220329_resized.jpg.811cd8af0294ecb32bf29ff92a77f259.jpg20170601_220435_resized.jpg.26ab24354f37a8ee744cce91f4864e8a.jpg20170601_220505_resized.jpg.d2abbceae15e82253d6e272fbbaaf233.jpg20170601_220520_resized.jpg.89978c142c3737d5ad92431899e085f9.jpg

Wow! Sanch you do really nice work.

That's really great, but I doubt I will be retiring ant time soon.

On a serious note (off topic) I have a Kalamazoo 1sm on the way for sharpening. Any tips?

Hey @bikermutt07, if you need a tip for your knife then... Well I don't think sharpening will help...

Oh... You meant tips on sheath making.... My mistake hehehe. Isn't @Sanch knives and sheaths awesome though! 

Tips on sharpening with a belt sander.

Ohh well shows ya what I know haha. I bet a belt sander makes quick work of sharpening though. 

12 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Ohh well shows ya what I know haha. I bet a belt sander makes quick work of sharpening though. 

We will see. It came yesterday. I plan on playing with it a little today.

@bikermutt07 from what I'm reading on the 1sm is not a variable speed unit which can be a bit of a learning curve in itself. It depends on what your planning to be doing? You can ruin many a blade before you get to where you can profile your primary bevels. If you are just looking to use it to sharpen or "power strop" I recommend finding cork belts in various grits and some decent "jewellers rouge" even HF tools green is fine. You can also make your own leather strop belt Since your unit is small. My 2x72 not so, hence the cork belts I use. I built mine from ground up. Wheels and all for under $175.00 and as you see it gets the job done. Frequency drive and motor combo came from Dealers direct in NJ  fantastic people to deal with.

13 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Makes quick work of scrapping good knives if you don't practice.

Edited by Sanch

I'm looking more to just sharpen. I bought Texas Knife's finishing kit of belts. I think it starts at 600 and goes up to 1000 or 1200 with a leather belt with white rouge.

The 1sm speed is 1\3 HP with 1750 rpm. That is as slow as I could find for a belt system. (Within reason) 

Many folks praise the HF 1x30 for sharpening, but after seeing it in person, I just couldn't do it. I'm admittedly a tool snob.

I will start with old cheap knives and work my way up. 

I won't touch my knipknives until I feel much more confident.

Thanks.

Edited by bikermutt07

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

I'm looking more to just sharpen. I bought Texas Knife's finishing kit of belts. I think it starts at 600 and goes up to 1000 or 1200 with a leather belt with white rouge.

The 1sm speed is 1\3 HP with 1750 rpm. That is as slow as I could find for a belt system. (Within reason) 

Many folks praise the HF 1x30 for sharpening, but after seeing it in person, I just couldn't do it. I'm admittedly a tool snob.

I will start with old cheap knives and work my way up. 

I won't touch my knipknives until I feel much more confident.

Thanks.

You shoulda got a bader! If you plan on starting to make knives 2 x 72 is the only way to go. My homemade grinder has a 6 inch Drive wheel which changes the lower RPM speeds when you run small idler Wheels obviously making them run faster with the freq drive that I have I can run it down as slow as 5 revolutions per minute also mine is running a 1 horsepower motor still by industry standards that is underpowered! But my grinder will hog Steel with the best of them!

Yeah, just wanting to sharpen. Just finished about 6 lower end knives with mixed results.

Things it did great on....

My cold steel Voyager that has a convex edge already, my rat 2 pocket knife. Both Aus 8.

My cold steel Finn bear and roach belly, both krup 12 I think?

Poor results on my Mora companion. Sharp, but made it ugly. Didn't try my other Mora's on it.

Medicore results in my vg10 kizer. (Out of fear I only used 1000 and leather belts). I really like this knife and use it everyday. I like it so much I bought a second one.

I will probably resharpen it on my sandpaper and strop. 

I hope I get a little better at this. 300 bucks was a big investment for knife sharpening.

I imagine I will find many uses for this machine besides sharpening. It's also a lot quieter than I thought.

Sorry to hijack your thread.