Shed

Double Gusset Briefcase

Hi there,

Thought I'd show my attempt at a messenger bag, which was made for my brother. Design shamelessly nicked from the Saddleback 'thin briefcase', and the closure method is from their 'Mountainback' range. Handle was designed to not give your hand cramp over long distances, though it looks a bit tacky. 2mm Veg tan shoulder lined with pigskin, with copper rivets and SS hardware. Cost around £150 in materials. These pictures were taken after about 6 months of use, so its a bit worn. It took a massive amount of time, and if I was asked to make one again I think I'd pay the difference so they could buy Saddleback ;). Any comments and criticisms appreciated.

Shed

DSC00900.JPG

DSC00902.JPG

DSC00903.JPG

DSC00904.JPG

DSC00905.JPG

DSC00906.JPG

Well I think it looks great! and I bet the next time around it wouldn't take you nearly as long. I just got done making my first messenger style bag as well and I think the first one always takes the longest. I'd like to make the next one similar to this one with a seam dividing the width.

My boss always says something like that.

"How about I just give'em a thousand bucks to go somewhere else!?!?" 

Ha! I love him.

That looks great. Out of interest did you are the leather yourself? Where did you get it from? I ask because I made a great leap forward when I realised that predyed leather is better and faster than any dye job I can do myself. Fewer odd coloured fingers too.

32 minutes ago, Matt S said:

That looks great. Out of interest did you are the leather yourself? Where did you get it from? I ask because I made a great leap forward when I realised that predyed leather is better and faster than any dye job I can do myself. Fewer odd coloured fingers too.

Thanks! And yep, dyed with my own fair hands with show brown Fieblings pro dye. I made a big dauber out of some old tshirts and just worked the dye over the hide in a circular motion. Didn't penetrate that well compared to using a wool dauber but was suitable for purpose. The grain came out a bit streaky though, as you can see in the first picture. The shoulder was the standard stuff from Le Prevo. I've never actually tried the pre-dyed stuff, since I can't justify keeping a large inventory of colours as well as thicknesses. Do you find it behaves differently in any way?

4 hours ago, LeatherBeast said:

Well I think it looks great! and I bet the next time around it wouldn't take you nearly as long. I just got done making my first messenger style bag as well and I think the first one always takes the longest. I'd like to make the next one similar to this one with a seam dividing the width.

Thanks! Your right, I think it would be a lot quicker after the first. The division works well, but its a bugger to get both the gussets to behave when you're trying to stitch them up. Good luck to you!

I really like that!

WHen lifted by the handle, does the loop and the leather strap through it hold the flap well enough, or am I missing seeing another closure?

A messenger bag is on my to do list, but I'm a LONG way from my first attempt.  The sewing and pattern cutting is something I relly need to work on.  I learned that this weekend.

4 minutes ago, CTaylorJr said:

I really like that!

WHen lifted by the handle, does the loop and the leather strap through it hold the flap well enough, or am I missing seeing another closure?

A messenger bag is on my to do list, but I'm a LONG way from my first attempt.  The sewing and pattern cutting is something I relly need to work on.  I learned that this weekend.

Cheers!

Nope, the closure you see is the only one, and it seems to do the job. The strap which locks through the loop does have a 2mm brass plate riveted to the back of it, which locks everything in. On my prototypes I found that only using the leather there was a risk of it pulling through.  It was designed for one handed open and closure, and seems to work pretty well for that. The only problem is that the leather at the bottom of the front panel pulls up slightly due to the center fixing, but its not a big deal.

I don't think anyone ever really ready to jump in on their first bag, but your stitching is certainly improved by the time your done! Good luck if you give it a go ;)

20 minutes ago, Dun said:

I'm really impressed with the gusset corners!

If you knew what a nightmare they were... :o but thanks!

1 hour ago, Shed said:

Thanks! And yep, dyed with my own fair hands with show brown Fieblings pro dye. I made a big dauber out of some old tshirts and just worked the dye over the hide in a circular motion. Didn't penetrate that well compared to using a wool dauber but was suitable for purpose. The grain came out a bit streaky though, as you can see in the first picture. The shoulder was the standard stuff from Le Prevo. I've never actually tried the pre-dyed stuff, since I can't justify keeping a large inventory of colours as well as thicknesses. Do you find it behaves differently in any way?

Well I mostly use bridle, which is a specific type of dyed veg-tan. Compared with russet tooling leather (what most of us mean when we say 'veg tan leather') it does behave quite different. As well as dying the piece has been pressed through a big roller to compress it, the back slicked with a gum solution, and it's been heavily treated with dubbin (wax, tallow and oil) for suppleness and water resistance. Most bridle has been through a tumbling process and is fairly supple before it gets to me. Baker's, on the other hand, is pit-tanned and as far as I know isn't tumbled, which means it's a bit stiffer (though of course it becomes supple soon enough in use if it's a flexing piece like a dog lead or shoulder strap).

As to practical differences... well it's a tad more difficult to burnish the edges because of the tallow content. The Italian bridle is quite greasy so it is a bit of a bugger to burnish, but I have a motorised burnisher so I don't have too much of a problem. Baker's is easy because the core of the leather is fairly dry. Sedgwick is somewhere in the middle. Can't remember about Metropolitan since I've only ever bought one butt off them and that was a few years ago now. All stitch, cut and skive about the same as any other moderately dense veg-tan.

One other practical advantage over certain veg tannages is that the back is always finished, meaning you don't have to line your items.

3 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Well I mostly use bridle, which is a specific type of dyed veg-tan. Compared with russet tooling leather (what most of us mean when we say 'veg tan leather') it does behave quite different. As well as dying the piece has been pressed through a big roller to compress it, the back slicked with a gum solution, and it's been heavily treated with dubbin (wax, tallow and oil) for suppleness and water resistance. Most bridle has been through a tumbling process and is fairly supple before it gets to me. Baker's, on the other hand, is pit-tanned and as far as I know isn't tumbled, which means it's a bit stiffer (though of course it becomes supple soon enough in use if it's a flexing piece like a dog lead or shoulder strap).

As to practical differences... well it's a tad more difficult to burnish the edges because of the tallow content. The Italian bridle is quite greasy so it is a bit of a bugger to burnish, but I have a motorised burnisher so I don't have too much of a problem. Baker's is easy because the core of the leather is fairly dry. Sedgwick is somewhere in the middle. Can't remember about Metropolitan since I've only ever bought one butt off them and that was a few years ago now. All stitch, cut and skive about the same as any other moderately dense veg-tan.

One other practical advantage over certain veg tannages is that the back is always finished, meaning you don't have to line your items.

I'd actually forgotten that bridle is essentially treated veg tan, I do have a half butt of the Metropolitan stuff which comes out when a belt needs making. I don't really like the stuff, as I have a nightmare trying to burnish, even with a homemade power burnisher, as my edges always appear cracked and rough. I didn't know much about how it was made though, that made for a really interesting read, thanks!

2 hours ago, Shed said:

I'd actually forgotten that bridle is essentially treated veg tan, I do have a half butt of the Metropolitan stuff which comes out when a belt needs making. I don't really like the stuff, as I have a nightmare trying to burnish, even with a homemade power burnisher, as my edges always appear cracked and rough. I didn't know much about how it was made though, that made for a really interesting read, thanks!

Yeah burnishing bridle can be a challenge. My current process is:

(1) quick motor burnish with plain water to consolidate the edge

(2) apply dye, giving it a quick rub with a rag before the alcohol dries

(3) rub on some tallow to keep the fibres down (not too much)

(4) apply burnishing solution, burnishing with the motor while it's still damp. Very easy to burn the leather here so keep bloody alert.

(5) Put some beeswax on (not too much) and rub well in. Repeat a few times if you like.

This is the result of a few years' casual experiments and gives the best balance between initial shine and longevity. It's an ongoing development but pretty much what most saddlers use. (I'm not a saddler, nor do I depict one on TV.) I have found it crucial to always rub in the same direction. Not all leathers respond the same.

15 hours ago, Matt S said:

Yeah burnishing bridle can be a challenge. My current process is:

(1) quick motor burnish with plain water to consolidate the edge

(2) apply dye, giving it a quick rub with a rag before the alcohol dries

(3) rub on some tallow to keep the fibres down (not too much)

(4) apply burnishing solution, burnishing with the motor while it's still damp. Very easy to burn the leather here so keep bloody alert.

(5) Put some beeswax on (not too much) and rub well in. Repeat a few times if you like.

This is the result of a few years' casual experiments and gives the best balance between initial shine and longevity. It's an ongoing development but pretty much what most saddlers use. (I'm not a saddler, nor do I depict one on TV.) I have found it crucial to always rub in the same direction. Not all leathers respond the same.

I'll give that a go. Thanks!

I have a quick question about the handle - what is the long metal piece called that you rivet underneath the flap so that it doesn't fold up when you carry it?  Where did you find that?

Thanks so much

On 6/23/2017 at 8:24 PM, Lajoie said:

I have a quick question about the handle - what is the long metal piece called that you rivet underneath the flap so that it doesn't fold up when you carry it?  Where did you find that?

Thanks so much

It's just a simple aluminium bar, doesn't particularly matter the type. mine was 300mm x 30mm x 3mm, which was about right for my bag, with very little flex. I just measured the holes, drilled and countersunk to accept the rivets then glued pigskin over it. I got mine off ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Flat-Bar-Plate-Aluminium-Brass-Mild-Steel-various-sizes-100mm-600mm-/322532527916?var=&hash=item4b186fcf2c 

I'm sure you can get an equivalent over the pond.

Shed.

On 2017-06-23 at 1:24 PM, Lajoie said:

Thanks so much

Try Rona, Home Depot, Canadian Tire.  They all have various metal stock in bars, rounds, angles, aluminum, brass, steel, etc.

Tom