Webicons

Stiffen thin leather with glue?

Hello All - I am trying to make a very thin wallet with about 4 card slots on each side.  I would like to use 2/3 oz veg tan leather for this project but the side that I have is too floppy. 

I understand that a good soak and dry would stiffen it up a bit but I am wondering if there is a liquid type hardener (other than the one from Japan) that I can easily procure off the shelf.

I was thinking some type of glue (Modge Poge/Elmers/etc) but I am afraid that it would act as a resist when dying or drastically change the color if done afterwards.  

Any thoughts or experience with this?

The leather is very floppy now but when you glue the pockets to the body should be fine. Also if dyeing the leather it will stiffen a bit too. I use 2/3 for pockets and body on a roper style. Worked fine.

What's the back like? I have had some success pasting the back with gum (Arabic, though tragacanth would work) and polishing the tar or of it. Also I have found that wetting or soaping the back and running it through a pasta machine works to stiffen leather a bit. Think it's called "jacking"? (Be very careful googling the term though.)

Thank you for the information.  

Mattsbagger - It seems that many people use 2/3 leather for wallet interiors and I have started to assemble the pieces (a pain because its so thin).  As I assemble the pieces it is getting firmer but I would still like to find a way to make it even more so for future reference.  

Matt S - The back is beautiful and smooth.  I have access to Arabic and Trac so I'll give it a try on a few scraps.  Never heard of "jacking" (at least not in this context, lol) and I happen to have a hand crank pasta maker so I'll give that a try too. 

I was also looking around for a iron-on material to back it with or something to paste on.  Maybe just some non-woven material.  

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

I think you would need to fix your colour first, then apply whatever preparation you think will assist with your requirements.

I tried a product called Thomson's Waterseal to add water resistance to leather that lives permanently out in the elements. I have only used it for a couple months so far, so long term results are still TBA, but it waterproofs the leather and you can forget about skiving the leather by hand. "It is as tough as old boots".

Thomson's comes in various size cans for brush or spray application, plus it comes in an aerosol can.

The item I made that needed to be waterproof, was a cover to go over the point of my anvil. My anvil lives out in the yard in the sun and rain, and the point would be deadly if one of my kids run/fell onto it. Plus I like having 2 kneecaps ... even though one knee is titanium!

Edited by Rockoboy
after-thought

Thanks Rockoboy - I am almost finished with my deck so maybe I can kill two birds.  I'll give it a shot. 

Great quote by Henry Ford!  That's what I am trying to teach my son!

So doing some deep diving here and other websites and it seems that a material called buckram is used sometimes. 

Anyone have any experience with it?  Tips on using it? 

Hello All - I just wanted to say that the buckram works perfectly.  

Spread contact cement on the flesh side and before it cures press in a piece of buckram that is cut slightly smaller. 

This coupled with a folded edge give a nice firm piece for my wallet interior. 

Thanks for everyone's help though.  I learned a lot of new things to try out!

23 hours ago, Webicons said:

Hello All - I am trying to make a very thin wallet with about 4 card slots on each side.  I would like to use 2/3 oz veg tan leather for this project but the side that I have is too floppy. 

I understand that a good soak and dry would stiffen it up a bit but I am wondering if there is a liquid type hardener (other than the one from Japan) that I can easily procure off the shelf.

I was thinking some type of glue (Modge Poge/Elmers/etc) but I am afraid that it would act as a resist when dying or drastically change the color if done afterwards.  

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Sorry if I missed something in the following posts, but are you going to dye the leather?  I've had some extremely thin veg tan that got rather stiff after dying.  Like real stiff.  So, keep that in mind.  Also, you might be surprised how firm it gets after layering, stitching, etc.  Good luck!

Tugadude - Thanks for your insight.  I was planning on keeping it natural but since the water stained the leather a bit when folding the top edge think I'll dye it. 

I'm going to try a few different methods on some interior prototypes. I'll let you know how it comes out.