Windrider30

Need help with an idea

On 7/7/2017 at 2:23 PM, byggyns said:

Neoprene is available in multiple thicknesses from like 1/8" to over 1 inch (but I would not go close to that thick)

You can also do a dense foam from the craft store or upholstery shop.

This was my first thought as well.

The more i think about it, I think the best bet for your padding is 1/8" closed cell foam. it comes in rolls and sheets. not too costly. so if i'm not mistaken...i just got a shoulder of English Bridal and it is 7 to 8 oz which =1/8" thickness if not a lil better...this is going to be a pretty heavy/sturdy bag to begin with let alone the electronics that will go in it. Are you sure you don't want to use a 5-6 oz? would give you the strength you need and a lil more room...just a thought.

Best,

Ben

1 hour ago, BenjaminEstberg said:

The more i think about it, I think the best bet for your padding is 1/8" closed cell foam. it comes in rolls and sheets. not too costly. so if i'm not mistaken...i just got a shoulder of English Bridal and it is 7 to 8 oz which =1/8" thickness if not a lil better...this is going to be a pretty heavy/sturdy bag to begin with let alone the electronics that will go in it. Are you sure you don't want to use a 5-6 oz? would give you the strength you need and a lil more room...just a thought.

Best,

Ben

Yep I had originallythought of the 5 to 6 oz but with the gear (expensive at that) that is going to be carried around in it and the type of people that will use such a bag the extra thickness will not only add that much more protection but durability as well. And yeah I think when its done this bag will weight in atound 3 or 4 pounds when empty. Thanks for the idea on the foam

Edited by Windrider30

Internal plans for the bag (so far lol) Two 8 oz leather dividers, foam (will find out what kind when I go to Clark Rubber) that is no more than 1/8th of an inch (any bigger and I have to widen out the bottom a bit more) Will glue the foam to the two dividers, then will glue some roo hide to the foam and wrap it along the top and glue to the other side. Back, front and sides will be padded, glued and covered in roo hide. To give it a nice look, I am THINKING about padding the bottom as well.Orginally the base was going to be 8 inches, but I think with the thickness of the padding and the leather I am going to have to go 9 inches so that everything will slide in and out with ease and not be packed in really tight, haven't fully made up my mind yet, will know when I do the card board mockup. This is still going to be a three gusset bag. height of the bag will be from 12 and half to 14 inches tall, again will know more once I get the card board mock up done.

What I would do is put a D-ring, one on each the side of the gusset. One on the back side of the gusset ( right )  an one on the front side (left) that way it wont mater how much weight you have on either side, it will carry evenly with the shoulder strap

Look around for EVA crepe (foam), but ask for the lower density "cloud crepe", which is available in 1/8" thick sheets.  Search your area for a shoe repair supply house (or ask your nearest cobbler where they buy supplies from).  It is specifically made to be padding, is easy to glue and cut, is compatible with leather and leather adhesives, and is inexpensive.  Around here, a 16x36 sheet costs about $9 or so.

It is used, among other things, as padding in footwear.  If it can last under your feet it can last under a laptop.

11 hours ago, johnv474 said:

Look around for EVA crepe (foam), but ask for the lower density "cloud crepe", which is available in 1/8" thick sheets.  Search your area for a shoe repair supply house (or ask your nearest cobbler where they buy supplies from).  It is specifically made to be padding, is easy to glue and cut, is compatible with leather and leather adhesives, and is inexpensive.  Around here, a 16x36 sheet costs about $9 or so.

It is used, among other things, as padding in footwear.  If it can last under your feet it can last under a laptop.

Thanks will see about that as well, still working on the mock up and getting it set then will decide on the foam though I do know that I want to pad the inside as well as the bottom

Ok Have this storage bag/box figured out for the most part thanks for all the help all. So far this is what I have determined. Dimentions of the box are 16.5 inches wide, 12.5 inches tall, depth is 9 inches, originally it was 8 but once everything is packed in the controlers would get a bit compressed by adding that extra inch it will allow the controlers to sit better with out being compressed by the foam. And it will also give me a little bit more lee way with the foam. Orginally I was going to cover the foam with kangaroo hide but have scrapped that idea, due to A: It is hard to get all the air out of glued hide especially working with the sizes I would be working with and B: the glue will break down sooner or later and this will cause the hide to sag and just look like shit, so will go with a dark coloured foam that will look nice with either a medium brown or black case (still trying to decide on that) Going to go with an actual box shape more than just a pull over flap as I think that will look a lot nicer so will have to V gouge the top a bit (which reminds me how the hell do you actually keep your V gouge line straight?!) The strap system I am going to have 4 d-rings (one on the front and back gussets on either side) and just bring the straps up to a large O ring and stitch the shoulder strap to the O ring so the clasps that I will be using will just clip to the D rings that way you do not have to use the shoulder strap if not. Will have a heavy duty hand stitched handle in the middle of the lid. Will use two straps to keep the lid closed. Oh and this is going to have 6 gussets all total. As you can see everything fits ok but that font pocket just needs a little more room. Surprised that my measurements were damn near spot on and yes this is going to be a monster of a project especially with how I am going to run the straps under the bottom of the back length wise, and attach the d-rings to these two straps so that it just gives it that extra support to help with the weight..and ugg all of it will be hand sewn!!! Forgot to mention that there will be two pockets on the front as well!!

empty mock up.jpg

full mock up.jpg

Edited by Windrider30
forgot to add something

Interesting build. It looks like you have a good plan of attack. Good luck and please keep the progress pics coming:)

8 minutes ago, JD62 said:

Interesting build. It looks like you have a good plan of attack. Good luck and please keep the progress pics coming:)

SO far I do oh did forget to mention I am going to set up a couple of Velcro straps inside to help manage the cables.

You're off to a good start. One thought that would not change much in materials or sewing is to make one large compartment and have the center two dividers sewn together with a gusset, but not sewn into the main bag. So your main bag would be 16.5 x 12.5 x 9, and you have a removable sleeve that could hold the laptop itself, as well as be situated further forward or back in the bag to create divisions based on the particular gear you are carrying.

1 hour ago, johnv474 said:

You're off to a good start. One thought that would not change much in materials or sewing is to make one large compartment and have the center two dividers sewn together with a gusset, but not sewn into the main bag. So your main bag would be 16.5 x 12.5 x 9, and you have a removable sleeve that could hold the laptop itself, as well as be situated further forward or back in the bag to create divisions based on the particular gear you are carrying.

Now that is an interesting idea as i was thinking of doing a 6 gusset bag and sewing the dividers into the bag itself

3 hours ago, johnv474 said:

I like this idea. Easy to implement as well

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, Windrider30 said:

So could I actually use 6 d-rings, run straps (with releases on each end of each straps) to lets say an O-ring and then hook the shoulder strap to the two O-rings do you think this would help handle the weight a bit better?

I had an idea for something like this but I was thinking of running chain for the bolded portion

17 hours ago, johnv474 said:

Actually been thinking about this half the night and I think I am going to stick with my orginal idea of 6 gussets and stitch the middle pieces into the bag simply for security sake. While having a moveable center is an interesting idea I think that would not offer the security that I am after, because lets say that you have both a PS4 and the gaming lap top but nothing in the front, this would allow both to slide forward or backward which could end up hurting the equipment. By securing the middle this will prevent as much movement as possible while yes it does sacrifice some space I think it offers a bit more security.

Ok another question but this is to do with the shoulder strap. Orginally I was thinking of just making a long inch and half to two inch *maybe 1 3/4 inch" strap but not making it adjustable, simply because I am trying to keep the point of potential failures down to a minium but should I actually make this adjustable? The strap will be removeable and there is going to be a heavy duty 8 to 9 oz thick stitched and riveted handle to hold onto as well so kind of on the fence if I should make this adjustable or not!

Here a couple of pics of a bag I designed a while back. It shows how with just pouch studs and a keeper you can make a small adjustment to length on both sides.I believe that you could attach similar to your centre gussets but a couple of inches lower down. Regards Brain

Oct09352_resize.JPG

Oct09362+_resize.jpg

Oct09359_resize.JPG

30 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Here a couple of pics of a bag I designed a while back. It shows how with just pouch studs and a keeper you can make a small adjustment to length on both sides.I believe that you could attach similar to your centre gussets but a couple of inches lower down. Regards Brain

Oct09352_resize.JPG

Oct09362+_resize.jpg

Oct09359_resize.JPG

One killer bag! And thanks for that idea had not thought of that, will go that route as it does keep the points of failure down!!!

16 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Oct09352_resize.JPG

Oct09362+_resize.jpg

Oct09359_resize.JPG

My wife would like to know what liner you are using on that bag which she agrees is a stunner!!!

2 hours ago, Windrider30 said:

My wife would like to know what liner you are using on that bag which she agrees is a stunner!!!

Have a look in New South Wales Leather Co. It was a couple of years back now and I often just send samples of the croc colour and thickness I want and if all is well they send a suitable colour. A lot of the leather there is job lots that are not ongoing lines unfortunately, but for these sort of one off items your in a lot better location than me.

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Have a look in New South Wales Leather Co. It was a couple of years back now and I often just send samples of the croc colour and thickness I want and if all is well they send a suitable colour. A lot of the leather there is job lots that are not ongoing lines unfortunately, but for these sort of one off items your in a lot better location than me.

Thanks mate always looking for other leather suppliers other than tandy...oh bag construction will start soon got the leather i want lol...along with my very first ranger style buckle now waiting on croc lol and thanks for the idea on the shoulder strap going to give that a go!!!

On 7/28/2017 at 9:33 AM, RockyAussie said:

Here a couple of pics of a bag I designed a while back.

Very nice bag: love the way the skin pattern is used in the design (different scales sizes)!

Are you using a 'buttonhole chisel punch' when punching the holes for the studs? 

1 hour ago, gigi said:

Very nice bag: love the way the skin pattern is used in the design (different scales sizes)!

Are you using a 'buttonhole chisel punch' when punching the holes for the studs? 

Thanks Gigi, Yes it is a button hole punch used but could have been a fixed stud if customer were 8 hours closer to me. Once the length is established there's no real need for strap adjustment I think.

Holy crap ya'll this is turning out to be a bit more leather than I thought. I will not be surprised if I end up using the full half hide of 8 to 9 oz leather gor just this ONE case!!! By the way have the front two dividers and bottom and back top and front flap (that is one piece) cut still have straps and gussets to cut