GPaudler

Monster Adler 120-2

I'm pretty excited to have found this Adler 120-2 at a local yard sale! I've been wanting to do some fairly large fabric sculpture and this should be just the right machine for the job.

It's a drop-feed with 20mm foot lift and up to 16mm stitch length and it appears to be in good condition. It came on a K-leg table with a clutch motor but I have a servo motor left-over from a project and intend to mount it onto the machine something like this: http://www.sl-spezial.de/sl/index.php/flat-bed-lockstitch-machine-adler-class-120-30-e2.html though I'll add an additional 3-1 reduction and do without the needle positioner.

I also found an Adler 30-7 last week - lost my mind and bought it too. A little rougher condition, I'll post images after I clean it up a bit. I'll see how it sews compared to my Singer 29-4 and keep one or the other. How do y'all think they compare, aside from the arm length?

Gary

IMG_1118.jpeg

Nice find!!!! Congratulation! :)

30-7 have larger hooks, higher foot lift and need longer needles (Sys. 332 LONG) other than that it depends on the overall condition. Adler patcher do not sew better or smoother than Singers. I have restored both and there are bad a Adler and bad Singers as well as nice Singers and nice Adlers but the higher foot lift an larger hook on the 30-7 are really a big plus!

Yes, Congrats! Looks like a hefty machine. That handwheel is huge!

Thanks for the patcher perspective Constabulary. I've got the 29-4 on a tidy little stand so after the Adler is sewing well, space constraints could be a factor deciding which stays or goes.

Yes, suzelle of mysterious gender (and why should it matter in this context?), thank you, it's pretty hefty. I turned the hand wheel around on its shaft to get the v-groove closer to where the motor will be (photo shows original position).  

Gary

Now I know which machine the guy at the trade show was talking about when he said that the new H-Type 967 fills the void left when the "Adler One Twenty Two" model was discontinued. I'd been searching for "Adler 122". "Adler 120-2" makes more sense. Nice finds, congratulations!

Thanks Uwe. I looked-up the 967 and it's a beauty! It will be fun to have some of that capability.

Is there a trade show in the US for industrial sewing technology besides Techtextil NA and IFAI? I attended both of those last year and was disappointed. It would be hard to beat the Germans for Messe. A friend attended Techtextil in Germany and said it was incredible.

Also Uwe, you are too modest! I just looked at your online shop and it's a beautiful site with great-looking products at very reasonable prices!

Edited by GPaudler

I was in Frankfurt in May for the Techtextil and Texprocess trade fairs. It's the place to be to keep up with modern sewing technology. The Frankfurt show floor was nearly ten times the size of the show in Atlanta last year.

I'm working on getting a Singer 7 class motorized and I also plan to mount a servo motor directly to the base frame like they did in the video. The motor in the video is an Efka system, I think. I'll have a go using my 1,100 W SewPro servo motor and see how well it works without a speed reducer pulley.  I also have a new Consew 733 class machine still in the crate that will be next up for big boy work.

Frankfurt is fantastic for Messe (trade fairs). You can get on the train right in the airport and get off at the station right in the Messe.

I just looked-up the Consew 733 - if it can't be sewn with that machine, it can't be sewn. The 120 weighs 80kg, the 733 is 105kg! Walking feet and 32mm lift. Very nice!

14 minutes ago, Yetibelle said:

WOW - a yard sale.  That is a great find. 

Maybe the mother of all yard sales (MOAYS). A family was selling the extreme accumulation of the Dearly Departed and was eager to be done with it, and it was only about 10 miles from here. It looked like he couldn't say no to a tool but wasn't quite sure how to use them.

I got motivated and connected my SewPro servo motor to my Singer 7 Class in a test setup, just to check speeds and take measurements for the real table. I'm planning to mount the motor to the top of the table, rather than cutting a slot and mounting it underneath. This mounting concept would also work if you want to have the machine just sitting on top of the table.

Here's a video of my test setup - just for reference since you're looking at motor options. The real test will be sewing a thick stack of webbing, but speed control looks quite suitable and slow enough to me, even without a separate speed reducer pulley.

That's kind of what I had in mind. Your 7 looks like there's room to fit the electronics box underneath with the buttons and display facing forward (if sideways). My 120 won't allow that so my installation might not be so tidy. I should try it first without a speed reducer.

Thanks, Gary

3 hours ago, Uwe said:

I'm planning to mount the motor to the top of the table, rather than cutting a slot and mounting it underneath. This mounting concept would also work if you want to have the machine just sitting on top of the table.

I've been making up my tables with the "servo" mounted on the top rear of the table....where the "dead space" for big lamps and thread stands usually is. This is a bad picture of my "universal table" for various "domestic" sized machines, and I set up my 29B that way as soon as the box was opened. The price point is now attractive enough to kill off the pathetic "domestic" stock motors for good, in my hideout. And... Since we don't have to shoehorn in 45 incredibly awkward pounds of archaic, buzzing, *watermellon sized* motors anymore, the main reason for going underneath the table at all has sort of gone the way of the dodo, at least for the casual user. I doubt I'll ever slot a table for belts again.

-DC

Remote_mount_servo.jpg

Edited by SARK9
forgot pix

That looks like a beast! No wonder they wanted to get rid of it...just for the shear size of it. Congrats on the find...looks to be in good condition as well!!

Sark9 - You are absolutely right! Why struggle with the under-table convention?

Thanks Chayse, I'll post images when I get it running.

Tenho interesse em maquina de costura para conturar roda de polir , altura do calcador 40mm. 

Adler 120 Class.   Hard to find them.  Last i knew, a company in Germany that makes the 30 class shoepatchers for Adler  was still making them.. Price was over $20,000.00US.\glenn

glenn