Boriqua

Sheaths, studs and frogs ?

I have been looking at knife sheaths for a couple of days. I am making one for myself and since I never make anything for myself I would like to finally take the time and do something nice. I have come across many sheaths with the stud and love the simplicity and learned that sheaths with this feature are called belt or sash sheaths but that they can also be used with various frogs. Here is where i got a little stuck. 

So the frog is an attachment device that is made to fit fairly tightly around the sheath but is simply slide up the sheath and then retained by the stud or are people attaching the frog to the stud via a button hole.

Thank you for any guidance. I have made a couple of dozen knife sheaths but nothing with this style and  ... hell I can play some when its my own stuff for me.

Alex

I made one the way you describe... the frog attached to the belt and the sheath fits snuggly in and is retained by the stud. I was considering a strap to lock in the stud but the client didn't want that. I have seen it that was as well. he was happy so I was happy with it.

IMG-20140410-01014.jpg

cs bowie frg shth bk w frg1 50pc.jpg

cs bowie frg shth fr 50pc.jpg

cs bowie frg shth frog sd 35pc.jpg

cs bowie frg shth fr w knf 50pc.jpg

thank you!! that is what I thought but your pix made it perfectly clear. Beautiful work. I have never seen it done with the notch but it makes perfect sense.

Alex

1 hour ago, plinkercases said:

I made one the way you describe...

OK, plinkercases, . . . where does a guy get a knife like that?

It is probably wayyyyyyyyy out of my price range, . . . but woo-hoo would I love to have one.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you  Boriqua that means a lot coming from you.

Dwight the knife was the clients and its a Cold Steel Natchez Lorado Bowie knife. They are on amazon.com it seems and not as expensive as I thought they would be.

My thoughts exactly on both the sheath and the blade. Wow.

5 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Dwight the knife was the clients and its a Cold Steel Natchez Lorado Bowie knife. They are on amazon.com it seems and not as expensive as I thought they would be.

I'll have to keep that in mind, . . . but you realize of course that it would cost me another $1800 to own it.  First I'd have to have a red fancy vest, . . . then a Doc Holiday shoulder holster, . . . and a Doc Holiday cross draw holster, . . . and matching belt, . . . then a birds head nickel plated Colt, . . . as well as a standard nickel plated Colt, . . . and then the hat and jacket, . . . just so I could have a knife like Doc Holiday carried.

Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer wouldn't let me off the hook with just a $150 knife.  :rolleyes:

May God bless,

Dwight

18 hours ago, plinkercases said:

IMG-20140410-01014.jpg

PlinkerCases...great craftsmanship!...I have an old Wostenholm Scheffield bowie that needs a sheath...this is great inspiration to that task. A little clarification, if you don't mind...I can't make heads or tails of where the strap in the lower right corner of this pic went off to...

You know, I recall wondering that when I first saw this. The four holes in the strap seem to match those in the loop, but then...

as I mentioned I had intended to put a strap that came around the frog and captured the post... that is what that peace is... but the client decided against it so it is in the scarp bin... that's where it went off to!

Dwight I get you cost analysis... I had always wanted to colt SAA which I finally did as a mid life gift but then had to get another and a lever gun and a shot gun and start shooting CAS/SASS and then of course a 1911 for WBAS... and boots and hat and period clothes... and a safe and ammo  and and and.... but the leather I got for free!!!!...almost.

thanks again for to support for this built especially from you guys who I am hoping to learn more from. If anyone could invent a day stretcher and energy booster so I could get some alert bench time that would be great!!! there is so much I would like to build fro me and have to fro others but just cant get to the bench between family work church etc.... and a little shootin.....

here is another I made fro the same blade and owner..

Ranger Bowie sheath.jpg

Very nice. Assuming that you lined the sheath to prevent the rivets contacting the blade? 

no metal to metal

Wow, beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks and wait till we see what Boriqua comes up with.

I am sure it will be stunning.

Damn Brother .. Did you have to set the bar so freagin HIGH! That there is some beautiful work. I can only hope to do something maybe half that cool!!