matthewb137

Edge Creasing Iron

Does anyone have information on where to find a Hot Creasing Iron specifically in 110V for the US? I found a couple Regad M3000, which is lovely, but only the machines (no handle or tips) and they all seem to be 220V-240V. Campbell-Randall is all sold out. Any other options or places out there?

I thought there was a third site for it, I couldn't remember the name of it though. Fine Leatherworking. Rocky Mountain I knew, but last night I wasn't able to select the 110V model, now that you posted it I can, weird... Rocky Mountain definitely seems to somehow be much cheaper once you add in the tips, etc. 

I can't think of anyone else in the US that sells them. I am located in Europe so I order from Mando. It "might" be cheaper to order through them. You would save on the taxes and they will ship worldwide. You have to be patient when ordering from them. Also, they will be on vacation for the entire month of August. -Adam

I recently bought a machine from Mason leather tools. I believe he is in Singapore. This is his email: snowlets@sina.com He communicates through email. When I emailed him, he sent me pdf copies of what he offers and how much he charges. I think I waited about a month for the unit and tips, but it was totally worth the wait!

The machine, handle, and tips are wonderful and a fraction of the cost of the regad machine from US suppliers. I spent approx $519 on 7 tips, one wand and one machine. the only thing i had to do when it got here was change the power cord. I think it came with an english plug.

electric creasing machine.JPG

electric creasing tips.JPG

electric creasing wand.JPG

That looks pretty nice. Does he have the F series and S series tips too do you know? How hot does that handle get? And where did you get a power plug?

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Perhaps you were thinking of Lekoza?  This is a "bare bones" alternative, but might suffice for what you want it to do.

http://lekoza.com/Tools/ElectricEdgeMolder

It would suffice for starting it seems. I'm guessing it uses Regad Tips by the one picture? Do you happen to have one yourself by any chance?

No, I just saw it when looking at the Slam thread.  Don't know what's up with Slam thread, Lekoza used to stock it and it was getting good reviews.

I did not see your post before I posted in leather work conversation. There is an option in the UK from the Turners retreat under the name "Janik"

I read an older post about people using the Janik handles with a model train transformer with some success when I ordered the Janik unit this is what came.

35813086750_7a1f2a58d0_z.jpg20170727_200838[1] by my0771, on Flickr

35813087940_4a39cea8a2_z.jpg20170727_200845[1] by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see from the second picture there is no mention of the Janik name made in France by REGAD it does work at a slightly lower temperature than the actual Regad units. 

40 minutes ago, MY63 said:

I did not see your post before I posted in leather work conversation. There is an option in the UK from the Turners retreat under the name "Janik"

I read an older post about people using the Janik handles with a model train transformer with some success when I ordered the Janik unit this is what came.

35813086750_7a1f2a58d0_z.jpg20170727_200838[1] by my0771, on Flickr

35813087940_4a39cea8a2_z.jpg20170727_200845[1] by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see from the second picture there is no mention of the Janik name made in France by REGAD it does work at a slightly lower temperature than the actual Regad units. 

This whole thing seems interesting. But I'm not sure if it's in a good way or bad way... lol

I agree it is interesting the heads supplied for the Janik system are quite small I bought a pointed one and a roundish one which is pictured above I filed it flat and it smoothed leather on the 6 volt setting it burned the leather on all other settings.

My next plan is to buy more heads and make replacement ends from brass and have them welded in place by the way the Janikl heads are £6 each so I am happy to buy some and mess around with them.

These are my first attempts at replacements although looking at the picture I think this is too large I need them to be smaller that the Regad units as the janik has a little less power.

36272234715_252160d32a_z.jpg20170730_222644[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Let me know what you learn and how it turns out. I'm no metalworker or welder, so that's out of my alley unfortunately. 

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:33 AM, matthewb137 said:

Let me know what you learn and how it turns out. I'm no metalworker or welder, so that's out of my alley unfortunately. 

I did train as a metal worker but that was a long time ago I don't have the tools other than basic hand tools and a soldering iron. All of the brass work was done with a jewellers hand saw (like a mini hack saw) and a set of files.

36229171391_8a4c58be31_z.jpg20170804_112631[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I ordered two new end pieces one with a 4 mm ball point and one with a 3mm point. as you can see I have shaped three pieces of brass a small and a way too large and hopefully one that is just right. my original plan is to cut a slot in the 4 mm end piece slotting the brass piece in there with a tight fit and drilling through and either using a very small nut and bolt or using brass rod to rivet it in place.

For the solid brass end I had planned to thread and then tap a hole in the brass not too sure about this as I don't have any taps or dies and I would like others to be able to follow should they wish. I am going to look at heat resistant adhesives for metal

Costs so far two points in postage £15.76 brass £3.50 labour two hours.. I have eased the coiled wire back a little on the 3 mm and 4 mm points to expose more of the round inner bar to allow fitting. 

I wanted to thread the end of the inner bar so I could make as many ends as I want, Unfortunately my cheap set of dies does not have any adjustment it has a tapered start but the inner bar is quite hard. So in the end I gave up and made it a push fit.

In the picture you can see the failed version and the push fit attached piece.

36438871305_b9a4349aeb_z.jpg20170807_111831[1] by my0771, on Flickr

This is a combination end piece it has a flat side for smoothing two edges for making lines and a curved surface for edges.

36301993561_38eed4e6ac_z.jpg20170808_073046[1] by my0771, on Flickr

36270681622_6d807e9aeb_z.jpg20170808_073510[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I still need to practice with heated edges everything was done on the lowest 6 volt setting.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:11 PM, dayna said:

I recently bought a machine from Mason leather tools. I believe he is in Singapore. This is his email: snowlets@sina.com He communicates through email. When I emailed him, he sent me pdf copies of what he offers and how much he charges. I think I waited about a month for the unit and tips, but it was totally worth the wait!

The machine, handle, and tips are wonderful and a fraction of the cost of the regad machine from US suppliers. I spent approx $519 on 7 tips, one wand and one machine. the only thing i had to do when it got here was change the power cord. I think it came with an english plug.

electric creasing machine.JPG

electric creasing tips.JPG

electric creasing wand.JPG

Hi everyone. This is my first post on here. I’ve been looking for an electric creaser for a while and while I’m open to alternatives to the French Regad, snowlets@sina.com clearly doesn’t want the business. I emailed him several times and not even an acknowledgement let alone a refusal. It’s not a good start. I might just bite the bullet and go for the Regad. Is anyone selling an electric creaser by any chance? 220v only please.

Thanks guys!

Stephen

On 3/1/2019 at 12:10 PM, Stevodubai said:

Hi everyone. This is my first post on here. I’ve been looking for an electric creaser for a while and while I’m open to alternatives to the French Regad, snowlets@sina.com clearly doesn’t want the business. I emailed him several times and not even an acknowledgement let alone a refusal. It’s not a good start. I might just bite the bullet and go for the Regad. Is anyone selling an electric creaser by any chance? 220v only please.

Thanks guys!

Stephen

I bought a machine from Mando around 2 years ago. M3000 transformer + handle was around 270euro (+vat if you live in Europe) And of course you need some irons too. S05H (For smoothing edges and melting wax?) and a versatile creaser is FN2.

On 3/1/2019 at 6:10 AM, Stevodubai said:

Thanks guys!

Stephen

Actually, after browsing around, Crimson Hides sells machines and tips and they’re dirt cheap. I’ll be purchasing from them once I decide to bite the bullet.