Well, Seems that I got side tracked with other chores around the house. Been busy and have not been out to the shop lately. Went to use the glue and behold, the brush applicator was stuck in the pot. Glue was thicker than dried molasses. Darn near solid substance.  ( Barge glue of course ) Could someone please advise me on how to clean this mess. Are there any chemicals that would dissolve glue? Any Help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.  First I have to figure out how to get the top off. Thanks. How do you guys keep your glue fresh?

IMG_20170824_125651313_HDR.jpg

Edited by torker32
Pic.

The top is just glued on. They come off pretty easy as they are not glued well. I think that's where a lot of air gets in and dries them out. I got mine out and scraped out the glue. Haven't gotten around to putting back together as I don't have another brush head. Figuring on using silicon to glue it back on when I do.

If it hasn't completely hardened you might be able to save it with cement thinner. Pour some in and let it set for a while.

i think its called BARGE REDUCER 

Thanks for the tips, I have it soaking in Paint thinner now. Will update on the results. I'm on day one now with the soak. Couldn't find Barge reducer anywhere.

1 minute ago, torker32 said:

Thanks for the tips, I have it soaking in Paint thinner now. Will update on the results. I'm on day one now with the soak. Couldn't find Barge reducer anywhere.

You can get it at Springfield or Weaver leather. And on Amazon.

Edited by Mattsbagger

Thanks Mattsbagger, I'll check it out now.

Try lacquer thinner. Smell is strong though. 

Lacquer thinner will soften it. BUT it won't make it usable again. If want to just get it out and throw away it would probably work. IMHO

9 minutes ago, JKHelms said:

Try lacquer thinner. Smell is strong though. 

39 minutes ago, cowboycolonel said:

May sound stupid, but what's wrong with Barge's thinner?

He was looking for it a couple comments up I told him where to look.

Well I finally got this glob of glue out of the container. Soaking in thinner didn't do much, but made a mess. So to plan B, Took container and placed in in the Texas Sunshine for several days. Really cooked it good. It became a solid mass of glob with some flexibility. A flat tip screwdriver and some elbow grease, Started at the edges and worked the mass into a ball form. Lifted off the sides and bottom with no residue. Nice and clean inside now. A lesson was learned here. Do more projects, Use different glue container with an airtight lid of some sort. Thanks for the advice guys.

IMG_20170912_102037981[1].jpg

I've used contact adhesive for years in my business... we buy it by the case (4 gallons per case) when a brush dried out, I would put it into a fresh jar of contact adhesive and it would loosen up by the next day.  I'm not sure if this will help you now? (Looking at that picture...)

I have the same glue pot. I don't use it, garbage. I am going to try something else.