KingsCountyLeather

Copper Rivets

Hi all,

I bought some copper rivets from Le Prevo England .

Size 8 and 10 with a setting tool for both sizes.

When I'm setting the rivet, the tool won't close the post and washer the whole way?  The gap is 8mm.

Ive checked Both tools and they're drilled 13mm deep and the rivets are 21mm each.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Basic Question; did you trim the copper stud to about 5mm above the leather?

Trim to length first; about 5 or 6mm above leather, put on washer, drive down the washer, then burr the rivet. Trim the rivet stud even shorter if necessary; it only needs about 3mm to get a nice round top

I've never bottomed out the setting tools I use (Douglas). Since you already own them, I'd use them like they are, just cut the stem after you've driven the burr as far as you can. If you cut the stem first, it will be more difficult to start the burr without the taper. Alternatively, once the burr is past the taper, it's easy to drive, you could set it with a piece of tubing and finish as normal.

I have figured how to do it your way 480volt,  but it seems a little strange that I'd have to do it this way?

shouldnt the tool fit the rivets that its sold for? I will call Le Provo on Monday. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks guys.

I agree, the tool should fit any manufactured length of rivet. Maybe QC problem with the far eastern manufacturer?

I thought you were supposed to cut them to a needed length then drive them?

That's how I have to do the other type of rivets.

The tool should handle the full length of the rivet to allow a one step process to install and set the washer the whole way.  I buy 25mm rivets and set with no trouble in one step.

29 minutes ago, WRLC said:

The tool should handle the full length of the rivet to allow a one step process to install and set the washer the whole way.  I buy 25mm rivets and set with no trouble in one step.

This.  Cutting first is unnecessary.  It also could cause the shank to not want to enter the hole in the setter if it is deformed.  I cut only after the burr is set.  YMMV.