verus22

Knife Sheath (Left Handed)

The first project in about a year and a half.  Feels good to get back into leatherwork!  A friend at work asked me to make him a new sheath for his knife (old sheath is in one of the pics.) It was a bit of a challenge keeping all the metal away from the knife blade.  A bit of skiving, a bit of splitting...made it work. Leather was half-shoulder on sale @ Tandy, thread is 0.8 Tiger Thread, Colonial Tan, saddle stitched.  Dye is Fiebings Saddle Tan (including edges). All work done by hand.  Next project...build me a new wallet. :)

21457989_1199947606815529_6459704178145488507_o.jpg

21427105_1199947516815538_6748260257435129253_o.jpg

21457491_1199947483482208_2892080598166684565_o.jpg

21457305_1199947393482217_4005250680617803497_o.jpg

Edited by verus22

Nice welcome back project. With those belt clips I started attaching then to the back piece of leather between it and another patch just to hold the clip... not sure if I have a picture but it ensure no metal on the inside of the sheath or holster.

What kind of knife is that beaty?

I was thinking the same thing with the clip. The other metal problem I had was with the snap.  I skived a channel on the inside back to hold the clip & rivet and then split a thin piece to cover the all the metal parts on the inside.  I'm not a fan of working with those clips, but he didn't want a belt loop. I was just trying to keep the thickness down to a minimum (although it's a good 1/4 in. thick).  The knife is an "Elk Ridge". 

Huge improvement on the POS sheath that came with it! I love what you did with the strap.

Two of my favorites, too, Saddle Tan and Colonial Tan.

Thanks! I wasn't too impressed by the stitching on the original.  Makes me want to send them a pricking iron.  On the colors, I was trying to match the overall color 'profile' of the knife handle and the braided piece (customer's handiwork).

Ha! I hadn't noticed the stitch spacing! NICE! How do you even DO that?

Took it outside for some better lighting.  There's still a couple of things I'd do over, but all-in-all I'm kind of satisfied.  (If Tandy was open today, I'd run down and get another clip and make a new sheath...maybe tomorrow?)

21457788_1200167620126861_9152830419769786569_o.jpg

That compliments the knife very well, I think you succeeded in trying to match it all up. I can't believe that original sheath....they sold that too.

Oh my.

I was just looking at the good work and missed the gong show... sewing machine with toothless dogs? Or the child forced to make it was so shot the could really reach the machine?

Not to worry, the trophy wife has the Gong Show recorded. It wasn't that good, for the swan song.

As to the Morse code thing, I tried to figure it out, but the "spaces" are critical for anything to make sense. My favorite example...the USS Haleakala call sign is NSHI, which without spaces is dahditditditditditditditditditdit. Could be anything!

Sorry about the thread drift!!! But you wandered into my wheelhouse... 

I'm a licensed ham (not to be confused with a smoked ham).  I'd say that code is about 2000 wpm. Makes perfect sense.

I hear ya'! WB8YYG here, but was a Radioman in the Coast Guard in the '70's. (When men were made of steel, and ships were made of...well, mine was aluminum).

"And now, back to your previously scheduled program!"  (Do they still say that?)

AE7TX here.  My dad was a Radioman (Navy, late 60's, USS Shelton, KD7NQ).  I was a wrench turner in the Army in the 90's.

Did you do anything to keep the blade from cutting into the lace?

That's what I figured. Doesn't show in the pics. The gusset is your friend! (Until you have to cut/sew/lace it).

WOW! That is a lot smaller than I thought. Scale is everything...Unless you have Andre the Giant hands.

Roger that on the belt clips, WRLC.  I was considering that style, but I wanted to keep the thickness down to a minimum. I was thinking of splitting a strip thin and sewing it onto the back, but I was worried about the strength.

Strength is a good thing to worry about. After putting my first ever molded sheath into use, I've learned that strength means more than just carrying it on your belt. It also has to take into consideration what happens when you catch it on the arm of a chair or seatbelt, etc.

This is my first attempt at a wet molded sheath for my EDC knife. I can't believe I haven't ripped it apart yet, because I've certainly tried!

Knowing what I know now, I would have made the leather thicker, and maybe made the stress relief holes a bit bigger. Live and learn!

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

Yep yep. Fail forward fast. I just finished my second prototype for a japanese leather knife cover...and I made plenty of mistakes with both.  But now I know how NOT to do it. On to the next one!